A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Fruit Loops

Looper has that rare ability to make every appearance in a game an interesting one. He keeps fans on their seats and giving them the most for their dollar routinely. He has a live arm and good stuff, and while he gets the job done and has put up solid stats in his Met career, he his far from a dominator. Not being a dominator is OK though. In reality, there are only a few closers that I would classify as a dominator and they are not easy to come by. As for Looper, he falls into the category right below them will be a desirable commodity should his option not be picked up by the Mets a reliable and rather cost effective closer.

As far as closers go, there has been much debate as to whether they are overrated and what is the best way to use them. I personally think closers are not overrated and are an invaluable part of the bullpen. However, they are just as invaluable as a solid middle reliever. High leverage situations happen in every inning and as far as the bullpen goes, the Mets two, maybe three best relievers are middle relievers so they can work the tough situations and let Looper have the saves which are generally easier spots which are coming into the game with no one on, a lead, and only needing to get three outs.

When Looper is handed that lead with three outs, you know he is going to step up despite making it interesting and unless the Mets can get a Wagner or BJ Ryan, I see no issues with bringing him back in '06. Anyone buying this? I'm not. The fact is, I officially hate Looper. I would never fathom ripping Randolph for using Looper because right now, he is their closer and has not pitched bad enough to be removed in reality. I may not agree with all of his bullpen usage, but let's face it, it is either Looper in the 7th, 8th, or 9th. Give me the skill when we need to get batters out and bail the starters out of jams and let Looper have the none on situations.

However, it is clear that even that is not good enough if the Mets want to move to the next level. Looper needs two runs minimum for anyone to not want to rip their eyes out watching the game. The Mets were in dire need of win and he was handed the lead not once, but twice! He managed to evaporate that lead in both the 9th and 10th innings and Shingo Takatsu did his best to get out of a no out, bases loaded jam. Looper has lefties batting .327 against him with righties hitting .203 against him. His spots should be chosen from here on out because with thin leads and lefties owning a .979 OPS against him, that is recipe for disaster. Finally, can he please strike someone out? Strikeouts do not make a great closer, but it sure does not hurt. For a guy who throws that hard, he is entirely too hittable. Looper has a K/BB of 1.30 and he drove me to edge last night in a deflating loss. His numbers do not look that bad, but you have to look beyond the numbers if Mets plan to compete, they need to upgrade their closer amongst adding offense.

* * *

  • Minor update:
    • Toledo has taken game one against the Tides 6-5 behind AAAA player extraordinaire Marcus Thames and his homerun and three RBIs. Angel Pagan had a big game one for the Tides and went 3 for 4 with a run scored, a double, an RBI, and a walk. Anderson Hernandez went 1 for 3, Eric Valent went 1 for 4 with an RBI and a walk, Chris Basak went 2 for 3 with a run scored and a walk, and Joe Hieptas went 1 for 4 with a run scored, a double, and two RBIs. Eric Junge started the game and went 6.1 innings giving up nine hits, four earned runs, one walk, one homer, and struck out seven. Royce Ring threw two shut out innings in relief allowing one hit and striking out two.
    • Delmarva beat up on Hagerstown 13-3. Jose Coronado went 2 for 3, Jesus Flores went 1 for 3 with a run scored and a walk, and Russ Triplett went 1 for 3 with a run scored, a triple, and an RBI. Jose Sanchez started the game and went two innings giving up six hits, five runs, two earned runs, and two walks and took the loss. Matt Durkin came in to pitch the next two innings and the good news he only walked one. The bad news is that he gave up five runs, four earned runs, and four hits and the Suns gave up six unearned runs in total.
    • New Jersey beat Brooklyn 4-2. Matthew Anderson went 2 for 4 with a double, Daniel Cummins went 2 for 4, and Caleb Stewart went 0 for 2 with a run scored, an RBI, and two walks. Robert Parnell started the game and got the no decision while pitching yet another good game. He went five innings giving up one hit, no earned runs, two walks, and struck out three. Kevin Tomasiewicz took the loss and gave up three earned runs, four hits, one walk, and one homer in one inning pitched.
    • Team USA keeps on rolling and beat Puerto Rico 12-6. Lastings Milledge went 2 for 6 with two runs scored, two strikeouts, and his second double on the season. USA improved to 4-0.



      Lastings sporting some dreads for Team USA.
  • Since there is no actual baseball worth watching lately, Doug Mientkiewicz and David Wright are providing some entertainment for everyone. True to his word that he would shave his head if he reached the .250 mark, Mientkiewicz let Wright take whatever hair he had left off.

    Mientkiewicz looked, in Wright's words, "OK, but he's really not a very good looking man."

    "He's just not a very good looking person," Wright said. "It can only turn out so great. It doesn't matter what kind of hair cut he has. It isn't going to make him look any better."

  • Q&A with Aaron Heilman.

  • Poor, poor Tom Glavine. He pitched well enough to make me think about actually breaking out my Tom Glavine jersey, but the Met bullpen and offense failed him yet again. He has 272 career wins and should have over 280 but the Mets are hell bent on making sure he never reaches that 300 win plateau. His season ERA has been lowered to 3.89 which is impressive considering how the season started.
    SPLIT          ERA  W  L   IP   H  ER  HR  BB  SO   BAA
    April 5.67 1 3 27 33 17 3 16 17 .308
    May 4.58 2 2 35.1 45 18 2 13 14 .317
    June 4.66 2 2 29 41 15 2 7 12 .333
    July 3.44 2 2 36.2 43 14 1 11 13 .303
    August 2.50 3 2 36 37 10 3 2 15 .266
    September 2.57 0 1 7 3 2 0 4 6 .130
    Pre-All Star 4.94 6 7 102 137 56 7 41 46 .325
    Post-All Star 2.61 4 5 69 65 20 4 12 31 .255
    What is more remarkable about this turnaround to his season is that he has been a notoriously bad finisher the last few years and he has looked great lately and finally brought down his BAA in August to something respectable.

  • The Mariners may not lead the league in much, but they lead the league in steroid users.

  • Willie on Kaz:

    "He's a guy, overall, that gives us more assets in that spot," manager Willie Randolph said before last night's game. "Miguel played well for us early in the year, and he can always go out there and grind and claw and do certain things. But he did come here to be backup guy. If Kaz can finish up strong, the way he's swinging right now, it would be nice for us."

  • Scott Lauber goes over the highs and lows of B-Mets season and has some high marks for Lastings Milledge.
  • 11 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    GROW IT YOURSELF!

    8:00 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What up mr. met! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on calgary web hosting for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though this post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at calgary web hosting. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at calgary web hosting. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

    5:00 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding commercial web hosting and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) mr. met your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on commercial web hosting was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for commercial web hosting for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
    P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
    P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at commercial web hosting. You never know you may find some good deals!

    2:15 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    All I can say is WOW mr. met. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on small business web hosting services. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as small business web hosting services I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at small business web hosting services. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

    5:45 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    All I can say is WOW mr. met. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on commercial web hosting. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as commercial web hosting I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at commercial web hosting. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

    4:54 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. mr. met I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on web hosting company for small business and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to web hosting company for small business. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
    p.s some very good points on your blog

    1:49 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What up mr. met! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on web hosting company for small business for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though this post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at web hosting company for small business. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at web hosting company for small business. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

    10:11 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey mr. met. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching small business web hosting services. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from small business web hosting services I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at small business web hosting services. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

    3:15 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love your blog mr. met. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of web space hosting and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on web space hosting. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

    2:56 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey mr. met. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching calgary web hosting. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from calgary web hosting I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at calgary web hosting. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

    12:03 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love your blog mr. met. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of small business web hosting services and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on small business web hosting services. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

    2:28 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home