A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Right Track

Jon Heyman wrote an optimistic article about the Mets and it is one that I whole heartedly agree with.

The Mets had me worried for a while. From early reports, it appeared they were planning to invite a parade of Art Howe-like retreads for interviews, and frankly, without getting personal, some of the names sounded like punch lines.

But things seem to be turning around in a hurry. Whether it be Omar Minaya's early influence or merely the odds of finally getting one right, the Mets appear to be on the verge of getting one right.


The more that I read about Rudy Jaramillo, the more I like him. The more I read and see what Omar Minaya is planning for the team, the more I like him. I believe he has a concise plan and I love the fact that he is not basing his search on the manager with the biggest name, but the one that is best for the team. I know Jim Duquette got treated unfairly, but Omar seems to be better. Whether it is because he has enough clout to stand up to the Wilpons or whether it is because he is just better, he is moving this team in a direction that they are not used to going. The Mets are on the way up and it starts with the coaching staff. Mets fans have a reason to be happy about the moves being made and I still think the Mets should start their turnaround with a new manager and start from scratch. I still believe that bringing in a recently fired manager is not the way to go about it.

* * *

  • Rudy Jarmillio has reportedly said he is only interested in the managerial opening.

    "I came here specifically for the manager's job. That's the only thing I've discussed," Jaramillo said.

    Asked whether he would return to the Rangers as hitting coach before accepting a job as Mets hitting coach, Jaramillo said, "Yes, I would probably return to Texas."


    I still think anyone could be talked into anything. If he has a good relationship with Minaya, he may come. Besides, if he does not get the job, it would be because Valentine is the manager and not because they chose Randolph over him. I just do not think Willie is going to get the job. "I think he'd be a very good manager. He's pretty even-keeled personality-wise" said Derek Jeter. That is all I need to hear for any reasons not to hire him. The Mets could use a manager with a bit of a fire.

  • According to Bonds' trainer, he used Steroids in 2003.

  • The rumors continue to swirl around Mike Lowell. The article points out that Trot Nixon could be a centerpiece with a deal with the Marlins. The Marlins are looking for a left-handed batting outfielder and the Red Sox would not mind dumping him. The only hang up with that is that he was just signed to a three-year, $19.5 million contract. That is not all that different in terms of dollar value from Lowell and he is making exactly as much as Cliff Floyd. The Red Sox would have to eat some cash in that situation, but I'm still crossing my fingers that the Mets can spin Floyd into Lowell somehow.

  • Todd Helton is getting sick of losing. However, anyone thinking he'd be a good pickup or trade target just needs to look at the seven years and $119.3 million remaining on his contract. Away from Coors he is still a good hitter, but not the monster that he is at home and not worth the money.

  • 1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
    If you have a moment, please visit my attorney salaries site.
    I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

    8:47 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home