A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cerebral Blockage

A-Rod wants to be a Met... Old news. I mean, who doesn't want to be a Met? However, when A-Rod says things like this, it makes me want to throw a live badger at this head and watch the hilarity that ensues.

Great, {sniff, sniff} A-Rod's all grown up and mature. He chased the money and did not want to make the same mistake again by leaving the Yankees....except he signed the type of contract that usually accompanied by 'US Government' and 'Lockheed Martin' in the same sentence.

Of course, A-Rod is still the best player on the field and there may be a shred of sour grapes in what I am saying. It would be impossible for me to not think about the 'what ifs' and what would it have been like with him on the team. He probably would still be at shortstop and would have probably never moved. Reyes would probably have been dished off for Alfonso Soriano or something years ago.

In the end, only little baby jesus knows what would have happened and I am quite satisfied at the way things turned out without A-Rod. The Mets would probably be older and less athletic as either Wright or Reyes would have probably been gone and with the ridiculously cheap contracts the Mets have Reyes and Wright signed to, they add much more value to the team compared to what A-Rod would have cost.

* * *

  • The Mets might look to Sosa as a rotation option which is not the worst thing in the universe. However, within the same piece, it is noted that the Mets might have Pelfrey scrap his slider? Didn't they make him scrap his curveball? I think we can file this one under 'mismanaged' and let him wallow around in the organization for years and years.

    Of course, the spot maybe be Pelfrey's by default with Jon Niese right behind him.

    Although decisionmakers favor using Pelfrey initially, if he starts poorly, his spot could become tenuous. Young lefthander Jon Niese, who has been impressive this spring, could then become a candidate to relace Pelfrey.

    We kind of figured that though. He is the best prospect they have that is close to the bigs and a jump from AA is not crazy. Put that together with his good performance in spring and you have someone who might get a shot by default.

  • Moises is eyeing an April return and that would not be so bad.

  • Ken Rosenthal says Randolph is on the hot seat. Omar is just looking for a reason. Willie...give it him...go ahead, I dare you.

  • John Maine is the best 4th pitcher in the bigs and could rack up 20 wins because of this. Yes, it does not matter all that much who starts where once the season starts, but the back end guys will face a lot more bad pitchers. Feast baby...

  • Phil Rogers like the Mets in the NL East and thinks Johan will be the ace of the NL East. However, he also thinks Willie is smart.


  • Rob Neyer goes over his top 50 players over the next fives years.

    1. David Wright (25)
    Great hitter, good fielder, fine baserunner … and last year, at 24, he was the best player in the National League.


    Sweet.

    7. Jose Reyes (24)
    As thrilling as Reyes is, it's worth noting that he's almost 25 and his career OPS falls short of the league average (and that's the National League average).


    Reyes' game is not solely based around offense, but he brings up a good point.

    5. Johan Santana (29)

    It's possible that we've seen his best work. On the other hand, his best was the best … and now that he's in the National League, even less than his best may be good enough for two or three Cy Young Awards.


    Music to my ears.

    26. Carlos Beltran (30)

    Yes, he's old for this list. No, he may not be a Hall of Famer. But Beltran's broad range of skills may well allow him to remain among the game's elite for at least five more seasons.


    Is it wrong that I still think the best he has to offer is still to come?

    Labels:

  • 27 Comments:

    Blogger metsfanincincy said...

    Any thoughts on Claudio Vargas? I think he is at least as good as Kyle Lohse. I also think he would be more ammenable to signing without a guarenteed rotation spot than Lohse would have.

    10:32 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    I would not mind Vargas at all. I mean, it's a no risk deal, right?

    11:42 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice to consider as well that Beltran's deal is now comparatively, ahem, cheap. One bright side to long term deals for the right kind of player is that the market always outpaces the contract signed within a relatively short time.

    Sugar Pants at #25 is way too low. He is and will remain a top 10 player. I also think that Johan is moving into his prime right now, not the other way around.

    Vargas would be fine as a number 5, and why even quibble about guaranteed or non-guaranteed contact? He could be my #5 right now, sans problème. A guaranteed contract, however, pretty much assures that the Mets will buy out El Duque, who won't retire with that kind of money on his contract.

    Nice to see Jonathon Niese pitch for the Mets yesterday. Kid's going to eventually be in the rotation and should easily make it to AAA this year. He lost the strike zone in the fifth inning, and that last has been his nemesis. He needs some time with Waits at New Orleans. It will be interesting if the Mets attempt to challenge him by skipping him there right away. In any case, I agree with Heyman that he is ahead of Pelfrey, who, frankly, sucks! We should have dumped Pelfrey and kept Humber!

    Was surprised too that Register got the boot. I expect that he's gone, but does anyone know whether the Mets would have talked to the Rocks in advance about a deal? Could they have made a deal without passing him through waivers or were they obliged? And I thought I understood the Rule 5 well.

    I don't like the idea of dumping Ruben Gotay at all. I do believe that they might be able to pull him back from waivers if he's put on the list, but then they'd have to keep him or trade him.

    Fernando Tatis? Really? Really? Methinks, not!

    Also, Mike, we must all be on record before Monday regarding division predictions and games won by our starters.

    And I have two words to add to John Maine's name: Cy. Young. You've got to like our top four more than anybody elses!

    11:46 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Great point. Long term deals to the right people end up looking like bargains...unless you signed in 2000/2001. They still look nuts!

    Wasn't Sugar like #1? What list are we talking about? Not Neyer's...

    The Twins did not want Pelfrey...or so the story goes.

    Register might not be gone. I cannot imagine they won't be able to make a deal. Register is not exactly a stud, though perhpas a decent arm.

    Dumping Gotay is just silly.

    Yes, I plan to do a prediction post, but that might have to wait until the weekend. Maybe I can do it tonight...but it must be done!

    11:52 AM

     
    Blogger Sidd Finch said...

    Joe Posnanski said that Carlos Beltran was among the 5 players he enjoyed watching, and one of his reasons was he could do anything he decided to do. If he wanted to hit 40 homers, he'd hit 40 homers, if he wanted to steal 50 bases, he could do that. Then he said if he wanted to hit .370, he could do that. I think right now Carlos should decide that he wants to stay healthy. If he could do that, who knows what could happen? Mike, I agree that the best is yet to come from Carlos Beltran.

    I think Claudio Vargas would be a good fit on the Mets. Pelfrey is still young, and has a future with the Mets. Meanwhile, maybe Vargas slides into the rotation, then becomes a valuable utility type guy when Pelfrey is finally ready to contribute.

    At least with the JP Morgan upgrade of their deal for Bear Stearns, people won't be able to say that the Yanks paid more for Arod.

    If Willie goes, who would be the top 3 candidates the Mets should consider for manager?

    I'm in Denver this week, so I had to get up really early to watch the Sox - A's. I got up at 5:45, and it was the 7th already.

    11:54 AM

     
    Blogger metsfanincincy said...

    DG was looking Wright's age. Gotay was not, apparently, put on waivers. I hope they worked out something for Register.

    11:57 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Sidd...that was a true Ziiiiing on Beltran. He can do almost anything...Staying healthy would be something he cannot do for sure.

    Top 3?

    Carter
    Oberkefell
    Try and get Acta back

    Bear @ $2 a share was nuts!!!

    Gotay not on waivers? False reports on the interweb???

    12:36 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice rankings! If there's nothing else I get out of this season, I want Reyes to return to MVP form.

    Now you're casually calling him "Sugar"? Is there something between you and Sugar Pants you're not telling us?

    Gotay and Register hitting waivers sounds like a management travesty to me. I was frustrated by the Mets not giving Heath Bell and Jeff Keppinger their fair shakes. Gotay I think got his, and proved his worth. I think perhaps they should try keeping him one more year, and try him as a first base backup.

    I've got more confidence in Register than Stokes. I'm guessing Register's part of the reason they were shopping Scho and Sosa.

    12:56 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    That casual use of "Sugar" was done without any conscious thought. I my mind, we have taken a big step forward in our relationship.

    I know nothing of Stokes except for the fact his stock has risen. Is this chump any good? What kind of velocity does he bring?

    1:35 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Eddie Coleman has not been sharp this offseason.

    This gotay hysteria is his mess.

    I am so down for Vargas. so so down.

    I think the mets have gotten cheap late in this offseason. We shall see. I dont care if we have to cut Vargas in 1 or 2 months, its only money, they wanna consistently jack ticket prices and expect us to all turn out, get it done.

    Throwing away games from the 5 slot sucks. Each one we throw away cancels out one johan win.

    Think about that Omar! Spend the peanuts to insure your mega-star is worth it!

    1:49 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Stokes has looked HORRIBLE this spring.

    I've read they like his "fastball/change combo"

    whatever, all his stuff looks straight as hell and very hittable.

    I'm not pleased with this Register/stokes mess.

    I pray its for Joe Smith instead. and I dont like JOe Smith at all neither! that's how bad Stokes looks!

    I think Omar is waiting to lay some money on the mets for the NL East crown and wants to raise the odds these last few weeks as much as he can.

    that's all i can come up with.

    1:51 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't get the Carter as first choice, Mike. I'd like Oberkfell, but I'd also like to suggest Bobby Valentine would make a nice choice as well. Forget Acta, the Nats will never give him up. He has far exceeded what I expected he'd be able to do with such a crappy roster, and I fully expect him to push Milledge in the right direction as well.

    Trying to watch the Mets against the Marlins with my internet server apparently having problems. Lots of starts and stops to my image though I can hear the Mets announcers no problem. Man, you cannot say enough about how good of a team Keith, Darling and Cohen make!

    Anyway, just reported that Brian Stokes threw four innings today, which is probably a sign that the Mets are thinking of at least temporarily moving Sosa to the rotation if they cannot sign Vargas.

    Parnell & Niese are both back of the rotation guys but don't look bad to me!

    And yes, MFIC, I read those numbers wrong!

    1:59 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Think about that Omar! Spend the peanuts to insure your mega-star is worth it!

    This is what I said about Lohse! But alas, no one listens. No one...

    I think Omar is waiting to lay some money on the mets for the NL East crown and wants to raise the odds these last few weeks as much as he can.

    that's all i can come up with.


    Your hypothesis intrigues me.

    DG, no on G to the C? C'mon. Dude is good. How do I know? He's a catcher and he has curly hair. Curly Hair!!! I like Kenny O. as well. Don't get me wrong. I would not cry about that one. He's been managing like 10x longer than Willie!

    Speaking good things about Keith, Ron, and Gary is a priority around here. Please continue to do so.

    2:36 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bobby Parnell looked pretty decent today. Seems like he has a live arm, definitely confused a couple of hitters with his stuff. It's coming in 91, 92 on the gun but with his mix of pitches, probably felt like mid-90s stuff. 5ip, 0 runs, 3 hits, 5 k's with a walk? I'll take it even if it was against the Marlins. It's at least comforting to know Niese and Parnell are in the minors, and that we aren't completely barren. I look forward to them getting another year of work in and coming to compete in '09 if Ollie and/or Pedro leaves (I think Petey will be back, however).

    Re: Neyer's column -- just shows all the haters that while the Mets may lack minor league depth, they have a surplus of guys who are still relatively young in terms of prime baseball years. Sugar (as we now can call him thanks to Mike's love), Jose, Johan, Beltran, Fernando, John Maine, etc. The team is built for a run this year, but Omar needs some kudos for keeping the future in mind, as much as Willie likes to attempt to screw that up.

    If Willie's on the hot seat, I'd love to give Gary C. a shot based solely on the fact that the 1986 team trashed their plane on the way home from beating the Astros and would get into bar fights and beat the piss out of anyone who talked bad about them. Imagine you're out having a bar, and you tell Raul Casanova he's a fat slob, and before you know it, Brian Schneider is throwing haymakers and Joe Smith is throwing side-armed hooks. (Beltran would be in a corner trying not to get hit).

    Give me some Vargas, because I don't want Sosa spending a whole year in the #5 with no long man (Stokes is garbage ). Duque should just shut himself down until the 2nd half, I have no confidence in him.

    Thanks to coaxing, I have bought two full season tickets with a couple of friends of mine. Loge Section 4 ... Row K ... it's right on the edge of that glorious "can't see high pop-ups and the top of the scoreboard" seating, but what the hell, I can deal with it for one season because I am assured the same if not better seats in Citi. Also grabbed me a couple of seats in D.C. for the Mets Nats on April 24th -- 2nd row from the field next to visitors dugout. It should be a fun season, so long as I do not need to witness any collapses.

    3:29 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Also, just caught this off DeadSpin about the new Yankee Stadium ...

    http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/03/martiniabaryankee.jpg

    A martini bar in a stadium, along with $700/game Club Suite seats, which include food and beverages, indoor and outdoor seating and concierge service. Somewhere, someone is rolling around in a grave, because that's just silly talk. Money talks, I guess.

    http://curbed.com/archives/2008/03/25/glam_slam_yankees_show_off_new_stadiums_bling.php?o=2

    Above is the link to Curbed.com, where they show off some more pics of the new YS. I hope the Mets release some similar images of Citi soon -- all I've seen are the outside / inside views. I'd love to see the concession designs and the overall aesthetics, even though I probably won't give a shit in the end considering I've braved Shea's beauty for some fifteen years of my short life.

    3:47 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Obviously, having computer issues, please delete those mike

    3:48 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Delete what? I think you are the one having issues.

    I fancy myself a Parnell fan, but he is a reliever I think. Not a bad emergency option though at AAA, but he is just too inconsistent.

    Duque is the reason they needed Lohse and Pelfrey is getting ruined...A. Reyes for Pelfrey?

    Those seats sounds pretty damn good TC. I think I'm going to be edged out as a partial season ticket holder. Hopefully they do nto forget us....

    RE: Yankees and their fanciness....would you have expected anything else? I hope someone is drinking an apple-tini while they get smashed with a baseball.

    4:51 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Are the Mets really going to carry Fernando Tatis and expose Ruben Gotay to waivers?

    Does anyone else think this is colossally stupid?

    7:13 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ugh, enough with A-Rod.
    What a stupid thing to say. And it also a dumb article.
    I like Niese but he DEFFINITLY needs some minor league time. He needs to "learn" how to pitch. But then again I've only seen him pitch in spring training so he might be strictly trying certain things he's learned.

    I'd like to see Figgueroa as te fifth starter. He has real nice control and as a fifth starter, that's all you can ask. He's also got a rubber arm.

    I would want Moises Alou to take his sweet ass time in coming back. No need to rush things.

    It's god to see Carlos Beltran on there. I love Beltran, I don't know what it is but he's one of my favorite players. I think I like him more than Reyes and certainly more than Wright.

    I know I'll be in the minority but I actually like Fernando Tatis. He has some power and can fill in at 3rd and 1st smoothly and can be a warm body in the outfield. I like his approach at the plate, I like Tatis.

    I was reading the Mets liked Stokes, and I was incredibly confused. I couldn't understand it. SO I decided to to watch some video thanks to MLB.TV and I'm not going to lie, he has really good stuff... he just sucks. He has also sucked donkey balls during spring training. But during the regular season, from what I saw, his stuff is not that bad.
    He's in the Jorge Julio mold.

    Now that the regular season has officially started is it prediction time?
    I'll make mine soon.

    7:49 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Mike, Your failure to delete the guy's posts is just heartless. Can't you see he was having computer problems?

    8:10 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Enough with A-Rod? Benny, you love A-Rod and you know it.

    Gotay on waivers is just silly if it means carrying Tatis. It is hard for me to even type that.

    Figgs is interesting. Whatever, I'm confident something will happen whether it is Vargas, him, or Pelfrey down the line.

    I love Beltran as well man. He is very frustrating to me because I think he should be the best player out there, but he continues to disappoint.

    I guess arguing/worrying about the last guy in the bullpen is a big problem.

    I might do a prediction dealio for tomorrow.

    Anon....

    I need to amuse myself somehow!!! (notice the three ! to emphasize by emphaticness) I think we all know I was fibbing and tc comes here frequently enough that he gets that I'm an asshole anyway.

    8:18 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    He may be my favorite player but he's annoying as hell.

    I like Rich Harden.... ALOT!
    Will this be it? Will this be "THE" year for Harden!?

    8:22 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, I'm curious, who would be down for a opening day meetup at some bar to get trashed?
    I'm finally of drinking age fellas!

    8:45 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not to belabor a point I have previously made but Ken Rosenthal also wrote:
    This much already is clear: Girardi is not Torre. Many of the Yankees' veterans arrived at spring training in better condition than they were a year ago, and Girardi's intense conditioning program took them to an even higher level.
    Willie falls into the Torre category on this issue and I wonder just how much better some of these players might be if they came into camp in better physical condition.

    I keep on reading that the 5th spot in the rotation will be settled when El Dugue is healthy. I’m not sure if these people believe that bunions mysteriously disappear or the issue can be solved by Dr. Scholls’ Gell Pads. It’s a question of whether or not El Dugue can be effective with his new motion and diminished vedlocity.

    So Pelfrey may be asked to scrap his slider and will be the initital #5 starter by default. If Pelfrey gets lit up and given that El Dugue’s bunion will not mysteriously disappear we may end up with the #5 spot being a revolving door. I know it’s only the #5 starter and it’s not a major issue with 1 through 4 possibly as good as or better than any other rotation and there is more than ample time to resolve the issue and no reason for anyone to panic. However, it is a problem that eventually requires a decent solution. Consider that with Pedro requiring an extra days rest now and then and with injuries the #5 starter could very well make 20% of the starts rather than a lower percentage from being passed over from time to time. Now because all of the rotations do not remain synchronized throughout the season there is no guarantee that our #5 starter will face the other teams #5 starter. Nor do I believe the hitting is good enough on this team to win 16-11 games. So if the goal is to win 95 or so games I would hate for the #5 slot to become an abyss that swallows up relievers 20% of the time and when coupled with the normal chance of injury from 1 through 4 and occasional bad performance by either a starter or the bullpen to become a strain.

    Fernando Tatis is definitely the type of player that Willie and Omar favor. If only he was a few years older he would be perfect. But if he has a decent year off the bench Omar will once again be known for his ability to resurrect old washed up players. BTW if they don’t like Gotay’s hitting from the right side why not have him give up switch hitting. Does anyone know his minor league splits?

    8:46 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Posting the same thing 8 times is like being the drunkest person in the bar. Everyone looks at you and wonders why you continue to down shots and click the post button.

    Re: season tix -- I was surprised they were still available. They had six seats left in Loge 4 before I grabbed two, and the best they had aside from that were Section 17, shitty up-top, view-impeded seats. Probably helped I had a partial plan for 10 years before letting them go in the 2002 Mo Vaughn years.

    I'm almost positive that once it gets closer to Shea's demise, they're going to offer partial holders the ability to purchase season tickets. It'd be stupid not to reward people who spend a ton of cash with nothing.

    Totally agree with 2x4 in that Tatis is the prototypical Willie player. Poor Gotay, he gets Keppinger-esque hatred. He will end up a talentless hack because of non-love from up top.

    Girardi and Hank are a match made in heaven. Or hell, if you like a team that isn't the Yankees.

    Agree with you Benny -- Harden looked awesome. He has always had the right stuff, but he's one of those guys just predisposed to nagging injuries. That would drive me nuts if I was him and an A's fan ... he's just too good to always be hurt.

    Figueroa, Pelf, Sosa, Vargas, whatever. It's all the same to me at this point. I can't be concerned seeing that we don't have to watch Lawrence or Lima come in and get shelled for 8 runs every start.

    I look forward to the prediction thread.

    9:43 PM

     
    Blogger Sidd Finch said...

    I was wondering what the hell was going on with all of the posts. Then I hit refresh and they were all gone. I thought I was seeing Son of Spam there for a minute.

    I am not so much against seeing Tatis on the team, but I really think that some of those utility roles should be used by young, cheap talent, because there is much more upside to those kind of guys. I wish that there wasn't so much love for those old guys.

    10:32 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Benny...great idea, but I will not be able to escape from work. My life sucks! The best I can do is watching the game while working from home and drinking some beer by myself....well I guess my dog will be there. Does she count?

    12:40 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home