A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Postseason Odds

Here are the newest Postseason Odds from Baseball Prospectus.

Average wins by position in NL East: 95.7 80.8 76.5 73.0 68.7
NL East    W  L Pct3  Avg W  Avg L Champions Wild Card Playoffs
Mets 51 34 .546 95.7 66.3 98.14559 .52898 98.67457
Phillies 38 46 .446 74.7 87.3 .39386 1.49210 1.88596
Braves 38 48 .471 76.1 85.9 .57064 2.56050 3.13114
Nationals 38 49 .444 72.8 89.2 .14393 .60725 .75118
Marlins 36 46 .470 75.6 86.4 .74599 2.31630 3.06229
Ummm....yeah. Just chew on that for a second. It is delectable. You cannot find a team with better playoff odds. In fact, the closest team is about 30% away. I think the Wilpons can feel safe printing playoff tickets.

* * *

  • Rob Neyer throws out some love for Señor Perfeción.

    Webb Ctiy MO: who is the first half nl mvp

    SportsNation Rob Neyer: "Albert Pujols" is the easy answer, and perhaps the right one. But I'd take a long look at Carlos Beltran, too. He's played more than Pujols, and of course he's a great deal more valuable in the field and on the bases.
    But the question of the day goes to...
    Rob (Chicago): Who cares about Pittsburgh, K.C., Tampa Bay. I've asked a few questions about the WORLD SERIES CHAMPION WHITE SOX and still can't get my questions answered....Hey ROB, you SUCK! Post that!

    SportsNation Rob Neyer: Okay. But that's not much of a question.
    Matt is smoking too much of that medical marijuana in Cali...
    Matt (San Bruno, Ca): The Braves WILL be back. Trust me.

    SportsNation Rob Neyer: Sorry, but I find your argument less than completely convincing. Mazzone's gone, and Cox and Schuerholz won't be there much longer. Do you think there's something magical elixir in the Atlanta water supply that creates a winning team no matter who's in charge? The Braves do have a number of talented young players, and I certainly expect them to compete for division titles over the next few seasons. But the Mets are the Mets, the Phillies have a huge market to themselves, and the Marlins are loaded with young talent.
    Let it go Braves fans. Let it go.


  • Prediction....Mike Pelfrey wins today. My prediction that Jose Lima would win last night did not work out so well, but this one will.

  • Sounds like Aaron has some issues going on in his head.

  • It does not matter where he pitches, he's filthy.

    he 27-year-old rookie relieved Darren Oliver and froze Alfredo Amezaga with a 96 mph fastball at the knees. Owens then got Hanley Ramirez to line out and Dan Uggla to ground out to short in a surprisingly crisp debut.

    "It was very exciting to get out there for the first time," Owens said. "I felt more comfortable than I thought I was going to. I went out there and took a deep breath and tried to keep my emotions under control. I think I did that."


  • Not very surprisingly, Jose Lima sucked last night and did not make it out of the fourth. He have up a grand slam to Dontrelle Willis and I don't care who goes down, he should never pitch again for the Mets.

    "Sometimes baseball puts you on a test," Lima said. "I'm not quitting. That's one thing. Trust me. Nobody is going to take that jersey away from me. I don't care if I have to die on the field."

    Quit. It's for the best.
  • 7 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank god the Lima experiment is over. Hopefully the Reyes injury will be short term and the young pitching we have just received stay permanently. It seems that if we would trade a pitcher Heilmann maybe the one, he seems hittable and lately he can't hold leads.

    10:41 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Rob ic Chicago is the man. And Rob Neyer is the man for posting it and responding to it, haha.

    If by "back" he means "last place" then yes, Matt from Cali is right.

    I still trust Heilman there's nobody I would want more in the 7th or 8th inning. He'll fix whatever the problem is and have a sick 2nd half.

    Henry Owens is sick. Maybe put Heilman in the rotation in 2007 and have Owens in the bullpen... NICE!

    I was talking with my dad yesterday about Lima. There comes a time when people realize they're DONE. When will Lima realize it? Listen, I like Lima, he's fun and everything but he just sucks. When will it hit him that he should just hang it up, he's not even CLOSE to what he used to be, he's lost it all. What will it take with this guy?

    12:25 PM

     
    Blogger irishkeough said...

    Can someone tell me what the point of starting Lima is if you're going to use Oliver for five innings anyway? How about starting Oliver, and if he gets shelled, then bring in Lima to finish the game, regardless of how many pitches it takes.

    12:29 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    THe onyl reason I'll agree with you Paladin is becuase everytime i go to the ballpark I hope for 2 things.
    1. A Mets win
    or a 2. a rumble.

    #1 happens all the time, i'm ready to sacrifice #1 for #2...
    I wanna see a damn fight!

    - benny

    5:31 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Paldin - I would post here, but I'm recovering from going to three games in two days, and five games in six days!!! :)

    Agreed on all counts with Pelfrey. This kid is the real deal. With a little control, some seasoning and a few games versus some scrubs, he can be a MAJOR asset to the team down the road.

    What a win today, huh guys?

    Hugs
    Coop

    8:30 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Paladin before you get you panties all wet, those quotes about him beign the best catcher in the history of the DOminican Republic are from his agent.
    Just keep that in mind and remember that, his agent said that ;-)

    9:49 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The mets have played below par the last 2-3 weeks but then did that at the same time last year too.

    This yr though i am stoked. Henry Owens has me believing. Not just that he can suceed but unlike Bell and ring has really showed he can excel. (i'd like to see ring too this yr). But ala another blogger...i can see heilman finally traded away. That long rumored Heilman and nady deal for Zito may not be that fictious.

    As one article points out, I think milledge is a future all star. RF is his. His arm alone in RF is a difference maker.

    1:04 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home