A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Friday, June 30, 2006

The Heilman Experiment (Part II)

Way back in 2004 I wrote that the Mets should try Aaron Heilman in the rotation. This was not because I really thought he would succeed, but because I figured he was done as a starting pitcher. What I didn't know is that Heilman and a new arm angle would give the Mets an extremely effective pitcher. I write a lot of articles and this was a case of throwing enough shit at a wall and having something stick. Though Heilman has struggled of late, he is still a very good pitcher and very valuable to this team.
        IP   H  HR  SO  L   ERA   WHIP   K/9
April 13.2 13 0 14 0 2.63 1.32 9.22
May 16.0 11 1 13 1 3.38 1.13 7.31
June 13.2 18 2 9 2 7.43 1.58 6.08
Total 43 42 3 36 3 4.40 1.33 7.53
That is what I would call a negative trend. Heilman gave up a run in four of his last eleven appearances before putting together a string of four scoreless innings recently. Aaron had worked with Rick Peterson to work a kink out and that seems to have set him straight. However, Heilman was put into the bullpen last year and was just about the best reliever in the universe in the second half of 2005 with the exception of Mr. Billy Wagner. This year? Not so much. In fact, this bullpen is so deep that Aaron in the bullpen is no longer a necessity.

With Heath Bell looking great of late and Henry Owens showing everyone that he has nothing left to prove in the minors, they can pick up Aaron's slack since in reality, there simply is not as much to pick up as we thought there would be. The Mets need a #3 starter and better rotation than they have. I think this rotation is just fine to get the Mets through the regular season and beat up on the National League, but when it comes the playoffs, the Mets are one Kris Benson-type pitcher away. Heilman can be that guy in my opinion and it's certainly worth a shot.

The bullpen is a strength of the this team and with Heath Bell, Royce Ring, and Henry Owens there to jump in to help this team out, I think it might be the way to go at this point. If Mike Pelfrey can continue to improve and perhaps pitch in in late August and Aaron Heilman in the rotation, things to look a bit brighter in terms of the quality of the Mets starting pitching.

* * *

  • In what should be tough situation for Jered Weaver, his promotion to the bigs for good has come at the expense of his brother as he was designated for assignment. Jeff has been horrible this year, but is he worth a flyer to see if he can be fixed?

    "There are so many teams looking for pitching and so many teams in the race, somebody will take this guy," one veteran NL scout said.

    In a low risk move, the obvious answer is yes. However, he would come with plenty of questions about being able to handle New York again and Weaver is a known hot head so he would most likely not be the answer to the Mets need for a good #3 starter, but it cannot hurt.

  • Carlos Delgado might miss the entire Yankee series due to soreness in his ribs. However, it looks like Floyd is ready to return for this weekend series which will soften the blow of the current rash of injuries for the Mets.

  • I didn't see the game or the catch. However, just from this picture the catch looks like a pretty sick one to say the least.

    "Under the circumstances and the time of the game, the score, everything like that, I don't think I have seen a better play," Boston manager Terry Francona said. "That was an incredible play."

  • While Mike from Mike and the Mad Dog will not have comparison between the Mets left side of the infield and the Yankees left side of the infield because the Yankees guys are far more proven, it is a comparison that is going to be made. They are in the same town and all some of the best in the game. He needs to deal with it and deal with the fact that Mets left side might be better than the Yankees left side right now. Mike had said that if Wright has one season that even comes close to one of A-Rod's many monster seasons, he will be ecstatic. Note to Mike: WRIGHT IS DOING THAT RIGHT NOW AT 23. Wright is good and though a lot can happen, he looks like he is on track for a Hall of Fame career and it looks like Wright may even be better than A-Rod from now on out.

  • Mike Pelfrey, Henry Owens, Michel Abreu, and Jorge Padilla will represent the B-Mets in the Eastern League All-Star game. After the game, shove Abreu, Pelfrey, and Owens on a bus down to Norfolk.
  • 24 Comments:

    Blogger Count Choculitis said...

    I watched it, and that catch was one of the greatest, if not the greatest, catch I have ever seen not involving a wall. It was not a bullshit dive; he full out extended to catch that ball.

    12:24 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I still dunno about Heilman. Can he pull a Bronson Arroyo and be solid in the post-season, without any previous experience?
    The Mets need a good pitcher like Schmidt. I mean, what would it take for Schmidt? He is after-all a FA after the season. To me almost anything BUT Milledge would be available. I would give up "alot" but then again the Mets system isn't very deep.

    Omar seems to like gathering up alot of mediocre guys as insurance, ya know "in case shit" happen.
    I wouldn't mind giving Weaver a try out. WHo knows? Maybe Shea will help his fly-ball tendecies. Maybe alot of those homeruns turn into outs? I would surely give Weaver a chance but... the pressure? Can he handle it again? Cause the Mets are making the playoffs and I don't want it fucked up by some guy pitchign scared.

    Seriously, Owens, Pelfrey, and ABreu HAVE to be promoted. That was my thinkign as to why they havn't been promoted yet, to make them feel special and let them go to the All Star Game.

    I almost forgot the Mets take on the Yankees today... is that bad, or good?

    And to whoever is interested in meeting up together at a Mets game I have narrowed it down to these series'. And I included some weekday games, just in case.
    The 2 weekday games= August 8-10 Against the Padres for Mike PIazza's return.
    OR August 22-24 series against the Cardinals.

    Weekend series'=July 22-23 Against Astros.
    Or 2 different series against the Phillies.
    August 5-6 against the Phillies.
    OR another Phillies series on August 25-26.

    Instead of choosing just one I think I would get a better handle of things if you rank them from #1 through #5, from your most preferred to the least prefered, with 1 being your most prefered.
    Thanks alot. After that, I'll pick the "best" date and pick an actual date.
    I really appreciate all the help.

    12:29 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Yeah, it appears he flat out going after it. The greatest catch you've ever seen? That's serious. I'm going to check it out online. What's with people continually making the greatest catch ever against the Mets?

    Schmidt will take a lot I guess. That's why I'm not thinking that is the direction the Mets will go. He might be the best guy available and that means possibible bidding war and Sabean is a bit smarter than Alan Baird and will be taking best offer.

    I agree Benny. They wanted to give them a chance to be All-Stars and will then move them on up the ladder.

    I almost forgot the Mets take on the Yankees today... is that bad, or good?

    Are you kidding? That is fucking funny man.

    Thanks Benny for taking the lead. Should be fun. At first glance, they all appear to be OK for me, but don't do any Sunday games as I'm already there.

    12:48 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Weekday might be good unless there are a lot of people coming far because we would presumably be able to get better seats since weekened games should be pretty packed from here on out.

    12:48 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I watched the game. After Crisp made the catch, I rewound my TiVo, watched it in slow motion, made my wife come into the room and watch it, then turned off the TV, because I knew the game was over.

    2:38 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Benny - did you get my email? I'm down for the Padres series. My blond-Nascar-mullet sporting Dad might be too. Keep us posted

    2:48 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah i got your e-mail Coop, but you think you could PLEASE rank like games in order of most desired to least?
    it would really help.
    Same goes for DG and John.
    Thanks,

    Your friendly neighborhood benny blanco from da bronx

    3:18 PM

     
    Blogger ossy said...

    im happy with the mets. getting swept doesnt bother me. going into 4th of july weekend with our FIRST 3 game losing streak is awesome. last team in the majors with a 3 game slide.

    i predicted glavine would throw a no hitter yesterday. he took his no hitter into the 4th! im batting .370 mike! that'll get me in the HoF!!

    3:23 PM

     
    Blogger ossy said...

    apologies to coop. i will now take the foot out of my mouth

    3:34 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey no worries ossy, it happens. Esp since you can't see who is writing these - you need a hug (ossy) ;-) Just jokes of course. you guys don't strike me as touch-feely guys

    I also predicted at the beginning of the season that Glavine would be a 20-game winner. So we'll see where our predictions take us...

    9:04 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OK Benny - since you asked...;-)

    Most desired - week nights, I am already in the city, i could go straight to shea
    least desired - well, not exactly, but I already go to Sat games, but Fri nights and Sun afternoons are fine

    Series
    Most desired - Padres series (as long as there are no weekday games)
    Second most - Cards series (ditto above)
    Least desired - any Sat game

    Does that help you?

    PS Everyone in case you didn't hear everyone, Lastings was sent back to minors

    9:08 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Benny,
    I have no preference as to which team I see; all aregood choices. However, sicnce I am coming in from RI, I would not be able to attend a weekday game. But, if that is what the majority wants, go for it.

    6:22 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A few things to get off my chest after that wretched Sunday night Fiaco:

    God is willie clueless. Soler had to go before A-rod came up. He was nibbling way too much. I don't care about tomorrow. You have to win today. Plus he got Oliver up after it was a blow out. I am befuddled.

    Soler is done. His approach is maddening, Thee book is out on him. He does not come after you. We again need another starter.

    Someone has got to hit A-Rod. It was obvious LoDuca was pissed after the grand slam with A-Rod styling after the homer, plus he took about 15 minutes to circle the bases. When I read LoDuca's lips on the replay he called A-Rod a F**ckin' b*tch. Wheen A-Rod turned to look at him LoDuca said "Don't show thee f**kin kid up". Someone's got to hit him.

    The Mets embarresed themselves these two series.

    Adam

    1:08 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mike:
    No post after two horrible losses? Hope they didn't get to you that much. Was at last night's fiasco - man, it was incredible the way the Pirates tatooed Bradford and Feliciano. And, read Verducci just now with this quote: 'Afterward, reliever Pedro Feliciano called Randolph's decision to pull long reliever Darren Oliver after less than two innings "stupid."'
    So, a major bump if the road; just not sure what to do. If you plug Heilman into the rotation and he totally flops, how will he take going back to the pen? And, does Livan Hernandez make any sense? Or is he really cooked?
    Right now, with a shaky Pedro and a lucky Trachsel, I find it hard to see us going anywhere in October (IF we get to the playoffs).

    10:43 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    -- Intended for Metsgeek.com, but was banned for telling someone to get a life. LOL! Can you say Nazi Webmaster? So this one goes out to all my loved ones over on that glorious site --

    Ah. Good ole fashioned Mets fan negativity rearing it's ugly head. LOL! Guess that wonderful starting ro everyone loved so very, very much at the beginning of this season has finally forced you all to remove the rose colored glasses? And where is sweetlew in all of this? He was so sure that the kids down on the farm would reign supreme, led of course by Mr. "I can't adjust to any situation" Soler. Said it before the season started, said it as the season wore on, and saying it now: Starting ro was, is, and will be a major hole for this franchise unless a miracle occurs. And for those of you dreaming of WS titles, forget it. This club may get there, but no way will they compete with the pitching of Boston, or even better, the White Sox.

    And since when did the AL get better pitchers than the NL?!? What's up with that?!?

    8:59 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    To the bold anonomous poster above - wow you are a genius, you were the only one who thought the Mets starting rotation was thin, you were the only one who worried that besides Glavine and Pedro who are both older and/or struggle with injuries.

    Wow not a single fan but you complained when they traded both Seo and Benson and got no major legue starters in return. You are the only one who did not worry when Jeremi Gonzalez and Jose Lima sucked and now you are the one gloating over the Mets one week of struggle halfway through the year. Just worry about your own team's "ro" problems as Sean Chacon, and Jarrett Wright can't get out of the second inning.

    Adam

    3:55 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LMAO!

    Ya know, I love the Mets. I REALLY do. It's something that has been passed down to me from my grandfather (originally a Dodger fan), to my father and uncles, and thus to me.

    But as much as I love this team (through good and bad), I DESPISE Mets fans. Not as much as Skankee fans, but it's close. And that's why I was booted from Metsgeek.com. Not that I even said anything remotely bad. Just told some guy who was arguing with me to get a life.

    Just like I will tell you that, Adam.

    Oh, by the way, the handle I went by over there was Paladin. Just so you know.

    Also regarding the starting ro, contrary to your idiodic statement, this was NOT an issue with most Met fans. Whether on Metsblog.com, or Metsgeek.com, I saw very little people talk about the lack of depth in the rotation. In fact, many (I use sweetlew as a primary example in my previous post) sang the praises of all these hot young studs in the minors! LOL!

    Now of course I'm a pessimist! Hell, I'm a Met fan! It comes with the territory. But From what I saw, read, and hear, I had no reason to belive that any of these guys in AAA, or AA would turn out to be a solid starter for this club this season or next.

    But the more I argued over what I THOUGHT was an obvious black hole for this team, the more resistance I met. Odd. Now they all cry about this club's lack of depth in the starting ro.

    Funny. That's exactly the point I was trying to make before this season even started.

    --Paladin

    6:16 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would never count Metsblog.com as a spot to measure anything against.
    Most of the people that write anything there are wierd.
    They claim to be old and remember the old school Mets, yet they act real immature and act like big time cry babies and cry over anything.
    Alot of the people there over-react.
    So you really shouldn't count Metsblog... they don't count, sometimes i think the guys that write there are 5 year olds.

    7:36 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Fully agree about Metsblog. I like Matt a lot, but the posters... well, let's just say it's a shame he lets children and palsy patients post there.

    But the Geek is a bit different. I actually had some solid conversations with a few of the regulars there. But the kids (and to me 21 year olds are kids) who run that place don't allow for any emotional reaction. Strictly numbers guys who live to anylize each and every aspect of this game.

    Silly. I'm not just a Mets fan, I'm also a huge baseball fan. I have such an incredible passion for the sport, and being the Type A personality that I am, I am going to get emotional when I discuss this sport and my team. No foul language of any kind, but they still felt the need to intervene.

    Shame, cause there were a few Mets fens there that I ACTUALLY enjoyed talking to. Then of course there's the typical ones like this Adam fellow. LOL! Eh. What eva!

    I just hope Pelfry can be a solid starter for this club for many years, and that Omar can somehow turn the rotation around in the next 1-2 years. Cause it's getting REALLY old, REALLY fast, and not much relief in sight (and that includes the pathetic list of free agents out there this off season).

    8:33 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well Mr. Paladin if you wanna say whatever you want while discussing baseball this is the HOT SPOT!
    This is the place to be.
    Even though its not my blog, You are welcome to write whatever you want here.
    I say whatever i want and its all good in the hood.
    So just on by regularly and we can debate and discuss to our hearts content without any filters or any censorship.

    12:28 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    benny glad to see you've come around on metsblog. remember earlier when you defended matt after some of our criticism and we had to clarify the main beef was with the comments?

    anyway...i still think the mets are going to stay in first all year and win the world series and willie will richly deserve his manager of the year award. bu-yah.

    10:24 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    mike, come back from lake george and tell us what to expect from pelfrey?

    10:25 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Paladin-

    I have no problem with what you are saying and of course I make no judgements on people's life.


    I just can't stand the masochistic mentality of many Mets fans who enjoy their misery - who are happiest when the team is miseable i just don't get it. I have been a die hard Mets fan since Tug McGraw told me "ya gotta believe" in '73 and have had a lot more down days than up. But certainly I am thrilled with their play so far. That's why I said you are a Yankees fan, how can any Mets fan be happy about the Mets playing poorly. Great the team is losing and your smiling becauase you told me so.

    I don't know who Sweetlou is I thought you were talking about something Lou Pinella said in a Fox telecast) but if he thought the mets rotation was strong, he was sadly mistaken. Most people who know about baseball, even die hard fans like the people on this site were concerned about the rotation since they traded two members of the rotation and got no ML starters in return. Zambrano in the rotation nver made anyone happy and most realized that Pedro is always an endurance concern and Glavine is 40. Soler was a question mark since he had very limited US pro-experience as is Pelfrey. The fact that we had to use Lima and Gonzalez tells how questionable this rotation is.

    Fortunately the Mets are in a weak conference and every team has problems more gaping than the Mets. Plus their is one week before the trade deadline so you never know.

    Mike and most poster have pointed out that the Mets will do well in the regular season, but the lack of depth in the rotation will hurt them in the post season when the games are tighter and runners are tougher to come by. No one should be comfortable with Trachsel and El Duque both making Post-Season starts.

    Adam

    11:01 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I like this blog because it reminds me of myself. Thanks for posting!

    Search Engine for Internet Marketing
    Add Url Free
    6,000+ sites indexed you can advertise on for free
    View by Traffic, Quality, Reach, Popularity, and more!

    7:28 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home