A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Sunday, July 25, 2004

The Baseball Off Season Just Got Longer

I have to confess, not only do I like the Mets, but my favorite football team is the Miami Dolphins. So the news that Ricky Williams is going to retire at the ripe age of 27 is bad news for the organization and fans. He is leaving millions of dollars on the table but is apparently doing what he wants..

"I have no idea what I'm going to do," he told the Herald. "Who knows? I just know it is going to be fun. Going to school again. Going to travel for the next six months. I'm halfway intelligent. I'll figure something out. I don't feel like I have to explain myself to anyone. All I end up doing anyway is giving rebuttals, and it is boring. I don't want to do it anymore. That's it. I don't want to do this anymore. If people really care about me, that would be enough for them."

He wants to do other things, it is hard to fault him for that. However, anytime someone so loaded with talent and tremendous ability walks away from the game it is not something fans want to hear. He has always been eccentric, and this time is no different. Just like everyone thinks he is weird, he thinks everyone else is weird. For my own selfish personal reasons of trying to keep myself interested in the baseball off season, I hope the Dolphins can talk him into unretiring.

* * *

  • That brawl between the Yanks and the BoSox was one of the best I saw. Varitek putting A-Rod in the hurt locking is on of the more classic moments of this year. Oh, the game wasn't too bad either with Mueller knocking in a two-run game winning homerun of Rivera in the bottom of the ninth to win it.


    "How's my glove taste Puss-rod?"

  • The Mets game featured a lot of firsts. Leiter throwing 117 pitches in 5 innings, Stanton blew a lead, they left 14 men on base, and Mets failed to give decent starting pitching any run support. Fantastic.

    "When I make mistakes, they are hitting it"
    - Mike Stanton

    Uh, ya think?

  • Wiggie to first and Piazza to catcher?

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home