A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Disaster Redux

Still not over it? Me neither. The World Series starts tonight and though the Cardinals are being written off as an afterthought, I'm not quite sold that the Tigers should be crowned champions just yet. The Tigers undoubtedly have the better pitching staff, but the Cardinals certainly do not have bad one. As all of us Met fans saw, their bullpen and starting rotation are quite effective.

I was pulling for the Tigers in the series because of how the Cardinals rubbed me the wrong way with their play and a few of their fans, but this article is making me rethink things. It seems we are dealing with two franchises and towns that pass confidence right by and go right for smug cockiness. Truth be told, I was thinking ahead and wondering what I would do if the Mets missed the World Series. I thought I would watch and cheer for the Tigers, but now? Both teams are dead to me. I hope this World Series has ratings lower than the WNBA championships. Fuck 'em both.

* * *

  • There really is no explanation for the existence of this video. Words cannot express the bizarreness of this.

  • On Thursday, Michel Abreu went 1 for 4 with his second homerun of the AFL and knocked in two RBIs in Mesa's 9-1 win over Scottsdale.

    On Friday, two of the Mets brightest were leading Mesa to victory over Peoria. Fernando Martinez went 2 for 4 with two runs scored, his first AFL homer, and three RBIs to bring his average up to .258. This 17 year old kid is playing with guys who will be in the Major Leagues next year and his stock is just skyrocketing. Mike Pelfrey got the start and went three innings and gave up one hit, no runs, and no walks while striking out three.
  • 9 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I didn't expect you to post today, very pleasant surprise.

    And I have to disagree with you. The Cardinals do have a bad pitching staff. I'm sorry but I REFUSE to believe that jeff Weaver and Jeff Suppan will continue this shit.

    I won't be watching the World Series either. And not for your reasons, I have different ones. One of them is that I just don't give a fuck.

    That Mr. T video? Fucking solid. I don't know what's scarier, the fact that Mr. T is singing, the fact that Mr. T is wearing some short shorts, or hell why the hell do we even call him Mr. T? What the hell does T stand for?
    Or who thought it was a good idea to let Mr. T have a music video?

    Screw Michelle Abreu, and the dude's name is MECHELLE, its all about Fernando Martinez. I'm in love.

    Hey! Some good news!
    According to Tracy Ringolsby of Rocky Mountain News, per rotoworld.com,
    The new CBA eliminates the whole Type A, Type B, Type C free agents and the former teams of the free agent won't be compensated anymore.

    So, we can sign Barry Zito, Julio Lugo, or even someone like Carlos Lee and not have to worry about giving up a draft pick.
    Hurray!

    3:01 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    I like to keep people guessing benny...

    Their staff is bad, but they have been pretty good lately man. You have to give them credit. They are not wastes of space.

    Those short shorts with him doing the step touch is classic.

    Michel is pronounced Michelle...you are correct. I hear he's a hot young prospect.

    Really? No more COMP picks? Fucking nuts! I don't think they should have them. I know what the reasoning behind it is, but it works both ways. Bad teams lose picks for signing shitty players. Like Loiza costing the A's a first rounder. What the fuck?

    Let's sign them all now! Good stuff Benny.

    4:14 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    re, yesterday's comments -- anthony, i always figured you knew what's up -- glad to hear your a skins fan; rough isn't it? i'll never forget how hard you had me laughing when you told a bunch of whiners at metsblog to stop busting omar's balls after one of the studly moves he made -- delgado i think. anyway, hope your dad is alright.

    mike, why all the detroit anger -- that link was to a column with no quotes. don't let a whiny bitchy writer sour you on detroit. i'm not real stoked to watch the series, but i'm sure as hell pulling for detroit.

    fuck the cardinals. fuckers singing our song? fuck that.

    6:17 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Yes, Jake...No quotes, but I've heard enough about destiny and detroit lately it is hard to believe those sentiments are not echoed by many in Detroit. As for my ange, let's not forget what just happened.

    7:05 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i find it IMPOSSIBLE to root for st louis at all after i heard that braden looper started a mock jose olay olay olay chant in the cardinals locker room after the game.

    braden looper is a classless oaf who will never amount to much and looks a lot like fuckin frankenstein. i hope he has a brain anyuerism.

    2:34 AM

     
    Blogger Anthony said...

    Thanks Jake. Yeah, I remember going off on that blog. The comments over at Mets geek, I couldn't take it anymore. All they did all winter long was bitch about every move Minaya made. Other than Mike's writings, I can't do that site anymore.

    Skins, TOTALLY brutal. I just am going to ignore sports for the next few weeks.

    One thing I have to say is that next season can't come soon enough. We are going to dominate. We need to bury the Cards every time we play them. That is some of the most fucked up shit I've heard professional athletes pulling shit like that. I agree with Mike as far as the Tigers were way too cocky going into this. If we got there, I definitely felt we could've beat them. In a perfect world, I'd like to see it go 7 and have the Tigers rip their hearts out in 7. Then it proves the Tigers weren't that good and the Cards lose. Either way, I'm not watching.

    11:45 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Anthony, Metsblog may have alot of "unique" visiters as Cerrone puts it, but alot of these are FUCKING IDIOTS!
    Sometimes I wonder how old these people are because its sad and pathetic that human beings like that are allowed to not only walk the Earth but have the same rights as I do.

    2:42 PM

     
    Blogger Anthony said...

    Good stuff Benny. Agreed. Will be interesting to see if these same morons try to go off on Minaya's moves this winter. You know they will.

    On another note, while I would rather see Detroit win in the end. It's funny how their "destiny" took a wrong turn last night, isn't it? It got on my nerves how the entire country acted like Detroit all of a sudden was this unbeatable team that stomp all over us or any team they faced. I think we could've beaten them if we got there. But we unfortunately will never know. Brutal.

    4:50 PM

     
    Blogger I.M. Forme said...

    Looper's a cracker-for-christ grinning jackolantern who throws like a girl.

    i dont have the heart to watch the actual worldseries, but i don't know who to pull for in even my imagination. If the Cardinals take it, everyone will say its cause the league, particularly the national league, was so weak this year and that bothers me for some reason. Also, I hate the Cardinals. If the tigers win, they'll keep saying the national league are patsies, and the AL is "dominant," Also, the Gambler will be the MVP.

    10:09 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home