A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ummm...Yeah

All that losing and bad baseball last night? The Mets are sorry. That wasn't supposed to happen. They weren't supposed to lay up a colossal stinker and shrivel up like something near and dear to me when I jump into some cold water. It's hard not to think about Delgado's 1st inning error, Willie's misuse of the bullpen, or Green's near catch on an eventual triple helped give a away a huge game for the Mets in game two. It is hard not to think about how the Mets lost two of their top three starting pitchers and had to hit the post season with duct tape and bubblegum holding the rotation together.

But all of that doesn't matter. The fact is the Mets are not executing when the need to. They have made too many mistakes in this series. The fact is that despite all their injuries, the Mets still should have been a better position in this series than they are currently in. Did the Cardinals appreciably outplay the Mets? Fuck no. The Mets more so outplayed themselves. Pitchers will get beat sometimes as hitters will get beat sometimes. However, failure to do the small things to win the game and diverge from the type of baseball they have been playing all year is disheartening. That's not the way to go down.

Can the Mets win the last two games of the series? Sure, anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely. The Mets only hope at this point is explode offensively as they did in game four and ride their bats into the World Series. If the bats are quiet like they were last night, there is no shot this Met team can pull things out.

* * *

  • I've never wanted to choke someone more than I did last night.



    As Valentin took strike three on a perfect pitch by Adam Wainwright with men on second and third, I wanted to choke him. Not because he got beat. That pitch was filthy. But because he didn't try and fight it off and just looked at what was absolutely a strike in such a crucial spot with two strikes and proceeded to say "no fucking way" (or something like that) and made a face. Not swell man, you got beat badly. Not swell at all.

  • Are people actually still writing about who is starting game seven?

  • Billy Wagner backs up Tom Glavine.

    "I know if Albert would have said that about me, I wouldn't have been as veteraned, as seasoned about it," said Wagner, the team's 34-year-old closer. "I probably would have said something back. That's me. Tom is classy all the way."

    Stay classy Tom.

  • No pressure John. Just millions of rabid fans depending on you to save this season from ending tonight.

    "I was walking too many people," Maine said of his Game 2 start. "That's what hurts. Just go out there and throw strikes, the fastball, work off that. I've just got to keep the walks down.

    "I don't think it's so much nerves," Maine added. "I don't want to say focus. I go out there every pitch trying to focus. It's just one of those games, happened at a bad time. It's something that I can fix and something I'll work on between each start and ...I will be all right."


  • Trachsel revisited.

    Trachsel faced 12 batters, and 10 reached base (five hits, five walks). That computes to 83 percent. Trachsel was thus the first pitcher to make a postseason start, face at least 10 batters and have more than 80 percent of them reach base by way of a hit, a walk or a hit batsman.

    Before Trachsel came Todd Stottlemyre of St. Louis, who in Game 5 of the 1996 league championship series against Atlanta allowed 9 of 12 batters, or 75 percent, to reach base


  • Mesa beat Peoria 14-9 yesterday as Fernando Martinez pushed his average over .200. Martinez went 2 for 4 with two runs scored and an RBI. He also added a sacrifice in the game.

    Kevin Mulvey will be on the mound today for Mesa as they take on Scottsdale.

  • In case you have not seen this Honda commerical, check it out. It might not bring you back off that ledge after the Mets big loss, but it will certainly make you a little bit happier.
  • 28 Comments:

    Blogger Kenny said...

    The game sucked.

    I wish we could somehow talk the Cards into taking Valentin and giving us Eckstien. I love the way that guy plays. I also was amused by his all out sprint around the bases during his homerun the other day. I bet he could play a mean second base.

    I've never seen that commercial. Hilarious.
    I'm fond of this one...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cG042nkReBA

    11:25 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Oh, I still have nightmares about those Quizno's commerials. Completely insane.

    RE: Eckstein.

    I do not want him on my team because I cannot stand to look at his face. However, when he walked the other day, I could not help but break out into laughter watching him spring down to first like he was running for his life.

    11:49 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Game was definitely dispiriting. You just felt the energy going the wrong way the moment they scored their runs. But the Mets have been good at home, so we've still got a chance. I would not be surprised to see the team force a seventh game; I'd also not be surprised to see it all end tonight. There's only so far a team can go without a rotation. From the longview, it's pretty amazing the Mets have gotten this far in the playoffs. Course I liked the idea of the team going all the way on splints and guts with a heap of brawn thrown on for good measure. This has been a great season. Maybe we'll find there's a little more left.

    12:13 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The thing that made me the maddest last night was that the strike zone suddenly changed in the 7th inning, as if the umps were double parked or something.

    This could be the last Shea trip this year. I hope John Maine gets a chance to pitch more than 4 innings tonight.

    12:23 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Agreed. It's been a great season, but I'd feel better they went down guns-a-blazing. Not with managerial gaffes, some errors, and the offense shrinking while faciing a mediocre staff. They Mets had the best offense in the NL and have been dissapointing with the exception of one game.

    I'd feel better if they got straight up beat. They didn't.

    Maine's cap is four innings. I get Willie leaning on the pen, but he's been a bit too nuts. Hey, look at the bright side, the Mets starters need like one more inning than the relievers to take the lead for innings pitched this NLCS.

    12:35 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Just read the comments from last night that I didn't get too.

    I mean, she kinda sorta has the makings of a MILF, but I'd be kinda scared to see how she looks without makeup.
    How you think she looks when she wakes up in the morning?


    Benny, that was solid.

    And I apologize to the guy who google'd ass coffee and ended up at a baseball site.

    12:42 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    the mets are taking it up the ass from a bunch of jokers. if i have to watch one more punk like eckstein or that skinny defensive replacement igucho or whatever he's named hit a homerun for the third time this season or whatever i am going to shit in my mouth.

    this will be nothing new. i barely made it through game one without shitting my mouth (beltran saved me) but last night watching weaver pitch well was so depressing i couldn't even reach from the couch to the coffee table to grab a beer and rinse the feces from my palate.

    oh, and don't get me started on suppan. or that stupid fuck spiezo with his lucky postseason numbers and dipshit fans with vagina blood on their chins.

    1:00 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    i am going to shit in my mouth.

    That ain't a pretty picture man.

    Those fans are dipshits though. Seeing 80 year old woman with that Spezio hair on their chin is puke inducing.

    1:20 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, I cannot tell a lie. After I saw the fourth of those really annoying fake comments with links I wouldn't follow even if it led to Benny's MILF, I had to write a disgusting parody.

    1:31 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The season ends tonight.

    I couldn't be more upset. Lousy #$%!$%^ Mets.

    Emad

    1:31 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The season's not over until WE SAY IT'S OVER!!!!

    1:36 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sidd finch - exactly!

    Hey! What's all this lying around sh*t!!!

    We'll be fine. We'll be fine.

    1:51 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No, we won't. 6-0 Cards in the 5th.

    You can't expect Carpenter to pitch poorly again and for Maine to suddenly pitch well.

    Emad

    1:59 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    We'll be fine. We'll be fine.

    I feel like we are in some war movie and some guy got the lower half of his body blown off and everyone is standing around saying, there's nothing to worry about. Everything is fine!

    We have reached defcom 5 people. Panic if you must. Drink heavily if you must. But this is happening.

    2:11 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Cardinals fucking ruined my birthdya last night. Fucking assholes. I'm a simple man, I didn't ask for much on this night. All I asked for and wanted was for the Mets to win.
    So now I get NOTHING for my bday.

    I was planning on going to the game tonight but fuck that. I'll just watch them lose the game at home for free...

    Like Denzel Washington's character, Alonzo said in the movie Training Day:

    "You wanna go to jail or you wanna go home?"

    Only lets switch it up for baseball and Mets purposes.

    "You wanna go to the World Series or you wanna go home?"

    Thats it... its that simple. Make it happen. I'm cautiously optimistic about tonight, which is wierd considering Chris fucking Carpenter is on the mound.

    2:14 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Benny, you were just optimistic and pessimistic in the same post. Impressive...

    Oh, and happy B-day. Hope you had a good one outside of the Mets emabarassing themselves.

    2:16 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    'We have reached defcom 5 people.'

    You mean DEFCON1. DEFCON5 basically means all is well.

    Thank goodness i'm here to set things straight. You guys are a mess right now.

    Emad

    2:21 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Optimisitic and pessemistic, at the same time, its wierd but that's how I honostly feel.

    I feel like shit but it could just be from last night.

    But at the same time I hosostly believe deep down that the Mets can and will tonight. I know it sounds dumb but whatever. We'll see.

    2:27 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's game 6. Amazin things can happen in a game 6. Carlton Fisk homers, Donnie Moore implodes, Mookie balls, 16-inning marathons.

    If tonight's game goes 16 innings, I'm there to the bitter end. What will THAT do the Mets bullpen?

    2:46 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Yeah, defcon 1 then. You get the idea here.

    The bullpen if the game goes 16 innings? LoDuca starts game #7 and Castro catches.

    2:50 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Like I posted previously....

    Cardinals in 6

    4:18 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Emad, is that you?

    4:34 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

    No. That wasn't me... though I can't say I disagree with Mr. Anonymous.

    Emad

    5:39 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gammons was on the Fatman and Lapdog show tonight. He is sure that Zito is coming our way in a deal for 6 years and $96mil.

    He says that Zito is indeed in man love with Rick Peterson. Gammons doesnt think that the Spanks are interested because of their payroll but he does think they will spend on the Japanese Ma%&#$?duke guy but both Toronto and Boston will jack up that idea.

    He also thinks it will still be a Mets Tigers WS.

    6:37 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think we get to Carpenter again tonight and Maine shocks the baseball world with a stellar performance. Look at it this way, we still have home field advantage, even if we're facing elimination. The Mets have been great and Shea and the Cards didn't fare too well there earlier this season. Have Faith! We can still do this.
    Is anyone else sick and tired of watching Lo Duca take a first pitch strike every single at bat this series. I can understand it if reyes is on first,but when he's not, he's gotta start swinging every now and then, catch the Cards pitchers offguard, cuz right now they are banking on him not swinging and are taking control of the at-bat and getting ahead of him every time.
    Game Six...Mets win 7-3!!!!!!!!

    6:46 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LETS GO METS BABY!
    HOLY SHIT!


    "You wanna go to the World Series or you wanna go home?"

    I guess the Mets wanna go to the World Series...

    11:33 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No More Wagner in non-save situations!!!!! Never, ever!!!!!

    1:11 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just got back from the game. Got a custom John Maine jersey and a Jose Reyes retro jersey. Cost me $500 beans, but man, am I ecstatic!

    Wagner will be the death of me. Country time 'workin' on my slider' !@#$%^*&(%^$.

    I predict a very high scoring game. 9-7, 8-6... something like that.

    CARDS IN SEVEN.

    Emad

    2:12 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home