A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Nothing

Not much has come out on Daisuke, but there have been some not-so reliable reports out of Texas that the Rangers made a $30 million bid and might have won. In reality, teams like Texas and Arizona have a hard time getting top tier pitchers to play for their teams. Partly because of their parks and partly because of their organizations, but they are mostly reliant on developing their own talent or overpaying for guys like Russ Ortiz, Chan Ho Park, and Kevin Millwood. It makes sense for them to go balls deep into this type of bidding for a certifiable ace.

If the Mets fail to nab Daisuke, they will get someone else. I have faith in Omar. However, if the Mets do fail to get Daisuke, let us all hope the Yankees do not get him. I cannot bear the thought of the Yankees just throwing more money out there to simply buy more top tier talent and see Cashmen get lauded as a genius once again. Genius is what Omar did with bargain players this past season. Genius is not laying out the most cash for for a baseball player.

* * *

  • As the Glavine Turns....

    ""I pretty much told (Mets CEO Jeff Wilpon) that I won't hang him up on this, that I'll probably let him know before the winter meetings (Dec. 4-7)," Glavine told the Web site.

    "I'm a little surprised that I have so little sense of what I'm going to do. I'm listing all the positives for (the Mets and Braves) in columns and trying to assess what I have as educatedly as I can."


    I'm sure Tom and his agent know the Braves interest in him more than a bunch of assholes like us, but has anyone even heard the slightest bit of interest on the Braves part in bringing Glavine back? Tom filed for free agency, but the Mets still have until November 20th to pick up their option and could negotiate with him until then. This was expected, but he is annoying me more and more every day. With his $12 million, I would rather nab Zito at this point. Tom's $12 million will be put to better use there and Zito's hefty salary might be a burden for 2008 while Pedro is still around, but after that? Not so much. I want Tom back, but part of me thinks the Mets just might be better off if he walks. Of course there is no guarantee they could get Zito and bring in another solid starter via trade or free agency, but it seems like a gamble worth taking.

  • Best football game ever?

    Maybe. I graduated from Rutgers in 2000. Admittedly, I didn't care much about their collegiate athletics program like a lot of friends my friends did, but this year I'm pumped. The Rutgers defense is just scary and watching Judge Jeremy Ito go for broke at the end of last night's game was just sick. Rutgers should be ranked 8th or 9th after last night's win (just let that sink in) and I never thought I would see the day that I would be in a bar with people going crazy for Rutgers like they were watching game seven of the World Series.

  • Bill Conlin does not want to see the Phillies to peruse Alfonso Soriano.

    I HAVE COME to praise Alfonso Soriano, not to bury him. He is a special player with special skills. He is also a flawed player with special flaws.

    In his first season in leftfield - he had to be dragged there kicking and screaming - Soriano was ranked No. 3 among all major league leftfielders in the plus-minus rankings of stats guru Bill James. And James ranked him a credible No. 6 overall in his Fielding Bible awards for 2006.

    But despite Soriano's speed and stolen-base totals, he is not a particularly good baserunner. According to a formula devised by James to rank a runner's success ratio going first to third on a single, scoring from second on a single, scoring from first on a double and extra bases taken (moving up in a variety of situations), Soriano is barely middle of the baserunning pack.

  • 29 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    $30 million my posterior!

    From the Star Ledger:

    While the Yankees and all of baseball wait to find out who won the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka, media reports out of Japan said the Seibu Lions were disappointed with the amount of the highest bid in the "posting" process and would need more time before deciding whether to accept it.

    Seibu was told only the amount of the highest bid and not the identity of the team that made the top sealed bid. The reports indicated the amount may be less than $15 million as opposed to the more than the $20 million some expected.

    My guess is that Matzuwazamahuzit is not coming to Shea, but I'm hoping against hope.

    Good point on TG. I don't think the Braves have that much interest, certainly not at $12 million. We won't die if he doesn't come back (though I'd kind of like it if he does).

    Soriano is perfect for the Cubs, maybe the Dodgers or Padres, not us. Whole argument is an inverted take on the Mets Latino thing.

    11:49 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Good stuff. I did say it was not-so reliable. Hopefully the Mets win out.

    Less than $15! Swellicious. Hopefully that magnificent bastard Omar did it.

    12:19 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And if, as I suspect, Matsu... is not NY bound, and, as I do not suspect, Glavine goes back to Atlanta, the Mets rotation could very likely sport both Zito & Mulder, plus a third lefty with OPerez mixed in.

    12:28 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey guys,
    Hotfoot is reporting that the new park will be named CitiField or some sh*t. I kinda like it - I'm OK with it. If there were going to be naming rights, I wish it were MetLife Field instead.

    1:39 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh yeah and Olney is reporting that Sox made the high bid for Dice-K, reportedly $38-45mm! How crazy! I thought that reports indicated that Dice-K's team was frustrated because they didn't receive anything more than like $20mm. Interesting. I'm not jumping to conclusions on my mat over here, but I'll wait to hear the final reports, thanks very much!

    1:40 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A bid that high just doesn't seem plausible when you add in the presumed cost of actually signing the guy. Really it would be near folly not even having a major league track record behind him. To this date, no Japanese pitcher has had a sustained period of excellence. Nomo comes the closest. A bid of that size demands a longterm contract that may not be anyway near justifiable.

    Course, I'd be happy to see the Yanks have to deal with the Sox getting him if they don't have to deal with the Mets getting him. We'll see...

    1:47 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    DG, I'll take that rotation.

    I can't remember watching five more exciting football games in my entire life.

    I agree man. It was a great game.

    I'm OK with CitiField.

    Red Sox or White Sox? I'm assuming Red Sox. That is nuts. I have a hard time believe that. There are SOOOOO many conflicting stories though. Basically, no one knows.

    1:52 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Red Sox - my feeling is that they don't want the Yankees to get him, which is a good strategy, I guess. Whatevs.

    2:05 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    $38 to $45 million! The Red Sox got him! That's the report anyway.

    2:09 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Link.

    2:10 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the new stadium name... You could put the NY logo in front of it and you've got New York CitiField! of course "Met" Life and the Big "Apple" work too

    2:12 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not sure if I believe "sources" but outside of the Mets, i'd rather him go to red sox than any other team. OK, any other team but the Banks,

    2:24 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Agreed. The Red Sox is a swell landing spot.

    IF they actually sign him and IF it is true, Beckett, Daisuke, Schilling, Lester, and Paplebon? Four guys 26 and under that have serious talent. Pretty nasty stuff.

    2:47 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As it stands right now we have starting pitching as follows: Perez, Maine, Pelfrey, Humber, Williams and Bannister. On the injured list we have Pedro and Victor, and a drak horse in Soler.
    Free agents we have an excellent chance of resigning is Glavine and El Duque. If I missed someone I apologize. What we are lacking is someone of Pedro's stature and its unsure we will get any of those and they are questions themselves. A name I saw the other day was Vincente Padilla, under 30 and did well in Texas, we have enough talent to trade for a Willis, sign a Padilla and get Soriano.

    3:12 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    SHEFF TO DETROIT!

    Umberto Sanchez to the Yankees!

    Steve...replace Willis w/ Peavy.

    3:31 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THEY GOT SANCHEZ!!!!!!!!!

    3:31 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LInks and sources, please!

    3:36 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/11/10/sheffield.tigers/index.html

    3:45 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    But why? Why would they trade Sanchez...unless...no this makes sense, we were talking the other day about them trading a pitcher for big bats.

    3:47 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Oh, Steve...

    Replace Willis with Peavy and call it a day.

    Yeah, now they keep Bonderman and have their big bat. I'd keep Bonderman over Sanchez anyday, but it is suprising they were able to shake that much loose from the Tigers.

    3:53 PM

     
    Blogger I.M. Forme said...

    i dont wanna sound too snarky, but...they're still the Tigers!

    Now Shef and (not-so)Pudge can commisserate about how they don't use steroids.

    4:28 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Talking to a guy today who says that Glavine is going to sign with the Red Sox. He lives next door to Gregg Clifton so he might be in the know.

    JD Drew is an asshole! Benny is right, he wants more than 3 years and $30mil? NO WAY! The guy is passionless about the game and while he has 2 years without injury I question his motivation, BIG TIME!!!

    ESPN is saying that Boris wil only let Dice sign a contract for 3 years. So if the Rangers do go for him then they are paying $30m and $12m per for 3 years or $22m a year for him. Texans are dumb (especially Hicks-see the A-Rod deal) but not this dumb.

    4:45 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    CitiField NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

    Braves and Yankee dicks will be calling it Shiti team at Shitifield!!!!! Noooo!!

    If the Dice rumor is true then Glavine will not be heading Northward. I wonder if he was the fall back? Nice! Glavine suckered into FA then left hanging! Where is he going to play if MEts, Sox and Braves don't want him? Colorado, Arizona, Texas? Dumb and greedy.

    5:00 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    You don't sound 'snarky'.

    F-em.

    The Red Sox! They have Papelbon, Beckett, Lester, Schilling, Clement, and maybe Daisuke? Not happening. He would be KILLLLED in the AL East. Think ERA of 5.50. He knows it. We know it. His MILF of a wife knows it.

    JD is an asshole.

    Even if the Dice K thing is false or they do not get him, Glavine still doesn't fit there. He'd be a disaster.

    5:54 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When I went to sleep, the Rutgers game was 25-3 with the Scarlet Knights losing. HOLY SHIT! THEY WON! I can't believe it, that's nuts. Good for them.

    All Bill James' stats/formula's are saying about Soriano is that he's fast but he's a fucking retard. He has the baseball IQ of the kids in special ed. Unlike my man, Carlos Beltran.

    Fucking shit, its 7:30pm and still nothing on Dice-K. And all I"ve beeen hearing is either Rangers or Red Sox and no Mets, fuck nuts. I'm nervous. Lets go METS!

    7:39 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi I was looking over your blog and din't quite find what i was looking for so I took a hit of acid. I'm looking for cheap women and a place to party...I didn't find it by going to some crappy website some random spammer left here.

    I made nothing last week having fun.

    12:47 AM

     
    Blogger I.M. Forme said...

    Hi, i was looking over your blog and found exactly what I was looking for:

    "Even if the Dice K thing is false or they do not get him, Glavine still doesn't fit there. He'd be a disaster."

    Not true, Glavine would be a perfect BP pitcher for many fine teams.
    ...
    Damn you guys got me all riled up about the dice man. You made me care. Curse you.

    In other news, sports journalists sure are mailing it in these days. Witness (from the article linked above):

    "There are three reasons the deal would make sense for the Red Sox:

    • Talent evaluators who have seen Matsuzaka say he's a top of the rotation-quality pitcher who would improve the Red Sox staff.
    ..."

    Shit Buster, now that's what I call analysis.

    3:35 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There are three reasons the deal would make sense for the Newark Bears:

    "Bloggers from around the nation agree that Matasuzaka is worth the ivnestment because of the money they possibly make back from Japanese advertisers and promotions. Oh yeah, it adds an ace to a rotation in need of one. The Bears can not only be contenders again but relevent as well."

    :( I think all signs point to the Red Sox winning. Fucking shit. I make use of the nickname Dice-K anymore. FUGGLES!

    5:50 AM

     
    Blogger Unknown said...

    zzzzz2018.7.16
    polo ralph lauren outlet
    moncler outlet
    cheap nhl jerseys
    moncler outlet
    yeezy shoes
    canada goose jackets
    pandora charms
    mbt shoes outlet
    coach outlet
    coach outlet online

    10:18 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home