A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

One Down....Zito to Go

I magically deleted most of my post from today. I am not re-writing it, but feel free to discuss baseball.

The sum of it all...

Glavine back = Good.
Mets need to get Zito and they are the best fit out of anyone.
The D-back are smart for chasing Mulder and his 2.00 career G/F ratio and that is who the Rangers should be looking at.

  • Omar did good here...

    The Mets offered salary arbitration yesterday to Guillermo Mota and Roberto Hernández, which means the team would receive compensation if either pitcher decided to sign elsewhere.

    Makes 100% sense to me and it already paid off dividends. If true, the Mets just added another sandwich pick and another second or third rounder.

  • Peavy's name has not come up in trade discussions with the Red Sox for Manny.

  • The Cubs are serious about Lilly and if they nab Lilly, that would knocked them out of the Barry sweepstakes.

  • Duaner gets the green light to pitch and that is huge. They Mets might be able to figure out if he will return to form making Heilman a bit more expendable.
  • 15 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the props
    Zito will succeed since he won't face a DH and usually in the NL the #8 hitter is weak too. It really is a "no brainer" for both sides unless borass is able to get AROD money from Texas.
    By the way is there a site where there is a listing of all the players offered Arb.

    2:21 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Texas could fuck everything up with an offer Zito cannot refuse, which would really suck. Zito is the best pitcher on the market, but that doesn't mean it's a great fit for every team. They need to be targeting specific pitchers and it could get ugly. 4.50 ERA would sound just about right on the lower end of the spectrum, but a 5.00+ era on some off years is a definite possibility.

    Mets and Zito are a no brainer. I agree man.

    Not sure on the arb thing...I'm sure someone will post it if it's out there.

    2:29 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi,
    This is my first post here.
    I love your blogs. I completely agree with you about Omar. It's absolutely a pleasure to watch him work in the off season.

    Zito is worth the money and the risk. I say 100 mil for 7 years, if it takes that much to sign him. He is able to stay injury-free because his pitches don't put a lot of strain on his body. His career will also get better if he becomes a met for the following reasons: 1. better offense support ( More Ws for him ) 2. No DH and a brand new league ( lower ERA ) 3. Better control over his pitches ( Pitchers tend to get better control as their career goes on, he can drop his BBs total if he works hard with Peterson which will make him even better )

    Boras recently said that Zito decided to focus on pitching (giving up his interests in Music and Photograph). Zito wants to become a HOF pitcher. What can be more exciting than getting a motivated and talented young player?

    Cheers, Met fans!

    A Met dynasty is upon us.

    2:38 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Zito is an obvious sign for the Mets.

    I'm not sure why Mets fan were getting offended by Glavine's indecision about where to sign. I've read a bunch of "fuck him" and "he'll always be a brave". He wants to be close to home, who wouldn't want that? And, of course, his career will be known for his years with the Braves, but he's pitching for the Mets now. He's winning games for the Mets now. Idiots.

    Cubs signing Lilly would be great news. Interesting reading all the D-Mat conspiracy rumors about under the table deals. I doubt MLB will allow any side deals that will allow D-Mat to be a free agent. It would totally negate the international credibility that they have built up, however, MLB/Japanese baseball need to come up with a better system than the present day posting system.

    -Bada

    3:04 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I doubt the Mets will go to $100 million with Zito, and yes, the Rangers could make negotiations especially pernicious given Hicks history of overpaying to bring "premium" free agents to Arlington. The quotation marks are not so much for A-Rod though that contract should still stay the richest in history for another 15 - 20 years; I was thinking more of Chan Ho (rule: if their middle name is "ho" you may well pitch like one) Park. Although Magic Mikey Oliver has converted me to the Zito group, I don't know about the Mets pushing past $15 million a year. Oswalt money or slightly more is fine, but add even a half million a year to that, and I fold.

    Why I love Omar: think Jim Duquette would have given arbitration to Orlando Hernandez when the team didn't really want him? Not a chance! But we got the Indians second round pick which despite our losing our own 1st round pick, guarantees us three picks out of the first 60 so picks in this year's draft.

    But wait, I kid you not, this is the motherfucking cake. The Orioles, where one JDuquette is now GM (with considerable interference from the owner), did not offer arbitration to LaTroy "I got a bad first name" Hawkins even though he had already signed elsewhere. They gave away a sandwich pick. Just gave it away. Look it up, then go figure...

    Offering arb to Mota means that he's a Met next year, and since the Mets wanted it that way anyway, bravo again Mr. Minaya! No team is going to surrender a pick for a guy who is suspended the first 50 games even with the contract savings. DG fearlessly predicts that Mota will a) accept arbitration & b) sign a two year contract before any hearing.

    Lastly:

    "Dress me up like a school girl and slap my ass." Well, Mike, baby, I didn't think you cared!

    3:23 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Uhhh, I meant Roberto Hernandez. My bad.

    3:26 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Metdynasty, good to hear from you.

    7/100 is $14+ per year. Rough, but I'd do it if was an option (auto/mutual/whatever) on the last two. Zito will be effective in year seven and as you said he has no injury concerns, but seven years to any pitcher is rough. Five years is really the standard for arms, but options are totally in play.

    I think Zito could be a Hall of Fame pitcher for sure though. The NL could go a loooong way to helping him get there. Seeing Zito be effective as 41 like Glavine it totally possible. I'm feeling about 250 wins for him.

    Bada, I agree on Glavine, but I'm still annoyed. I am happy to have him back though and I just might even wear my Glavine jersey next season before it gets retired.

    I'm not buying those Daisuke things either. The Red Sox offer is fair at $8 mill a year. That is completely reasonable and not a reason to think the Red Sox are cock blocking. They want him, but not for $15 mill so they took a chance.

    DG, if the Mets sign Zito, I'll be first in line to get a brand new Zito jersey. So are you ok with $13 mill a year? That is $75...$2,000,000 more than Oswalt. I fold on anything above that since I think Omar could pull off a trade.

    But we got the Indians second round pick which despite our losing our own 1st round pick, guarantees us three picks out of the first 60 so picks in this year's draft.

    Really good stuff. Really, really good stuff. The comp picks are huge because it frees up your first rounder and second rounder for free agents. Now they get a 2nd rounder they cannot lose either from Cleveland and the Orioles third rounder.

    Duquette is no Omar. Though I think he'll be a good GM. Problem for him Angelos is one of THE worst...I repeat...THE WORST owners in the game.

    Mota will accept. That's his best option for money and I do think he'll be fair about it and take a two year deal with a reduced '07 price tag.

    I care....I care.

    3:51 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Steve, I'm sure you see this on Sports Spyder, but in case not....

    Arb list....

    3:53 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    If anyone knows a site that reposts my blogs (metsdaily.com used to) or has the old post cached..please email it to me. Thanks!

    5:02 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    5/75 is my golden number. I think it's Omar's too. The question comes down to Hicks.

    I know, I stopped counting our own second round pick long ago. Indians one is much better placed anyway.

    7:46 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Funny to see Bengie Molina's name on the not-offered arbitration list. Just a year ago, the Mets offered him a contract and he blew the Mets off. Idiot.

    -Bada

    9:10 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wanna write something for the sake of writing something but i have nothing to add.
    Umm, Omar is the fuckin' man.
    Jim Duquette could be decent if given autonomy. I liked some of his ideas and some of the guys he went after before the Wilpons interreupted.
    Angelos is an idiot. Just one of the worst.

    10:05 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really hope you do get paid for posting the stuff you do. Cause its deffinitly the same person, writing it over and over again.
    Mr. Anonymous your an asshole. Your a waste.

    11:07 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mr. Anonymous is most definitely an asshole!

    6:20 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    13 million for Barry Z? I'll take it, and even go 7 years. That is similar to the Mussina deal. Looking back on that, if Mussina would have come to the Mets, was that a good deal? I think so too.

    We'll even throw in special treatment of Barry's teddy bear on trips. A no-brainer.

    I'm glad to see the Mets roll the dice a bit with offering arb to players who might leave. Shows guts, but why the hell not?

    11:39 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home