A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Silencio Es Dorado

One of the big news stories of the week was big non story in that A-Rod isn't talking about his contract anymore.

"It can come up every day of the year," Rodriguez said Thursday before departing for a road spring training game against Cincinnati. "I'm going to give you the same answer. Nothing has changed. I'm not going to talk about my contract."

No where in the universe can someone with a .299/.396/.549 line and 119 homers and 357 RBIs over three seasons be on a fan bases' bad side but in New York with Alex Rodriguez. Producing has a way of making nice with fans, but strangely enough, A-Rod is perceived as an under achiever and not many Yankee fans would be terribly upset should he actually use his opt out clause.

Of course, this is because A-Rod has a knack for saying all the wrong things. After the above statement, most writers and fans were left wondering why he did not just say that earlier in the year. Instead he said it was up the fans to accept him and the team to decide if he comes back. In other words, he wants some love and attention.

We all say things that we know is a mistake right after we say it. When I was with my ex, during a fight I turned to her friend and said, "your friend (meaning my ex) is a real c*nt". Well, that's one of those things that leave your mouth and there is instant remorse. I got on the phone and called my friend and said I was coming over to sleep on the couch. Was my anger founded? Yes. Did I say what I wanted to because I thought it was warranted? Yes. But sometimes you have to use that thing in between your ears.

In A-Rod's case, he is right. The guy has put up eye popping numbers over the last three seasons and gets booed and receives little respect. Is he right to be annoyed at the fans? Fuck yeah. Is it natural that he is going to have some negative feelings towards the fans like Carlos Beltran did after all the prolonged booing? Yes. However, sometimes you have to be a professional and be a bit smarter. Use silence as a tool and become more media savvy. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, if A-Rod used the David Wright/Derek Jeter standard line gig (as much as I do not like the standard line thing, it is a must for some people), he would be in a different place.

Last year, he was clueless in the Red Sox series when he failed to produce at all. He said he thought he did pretty good while even some of his own teammates called him out. Instead of saying, "we didn't win and I just didn't get the job done", he was talking about how he didn't think he did too bad. Earlier in the year, a guy who has a quarter of a billion dollar contract was looking for adoration from the public and media despite being clueless to the atmosphere he created for himself.

It's kind of one of those head scratching situations that confound you. He seems to have such a distorted view of reality and this dates back to his Ranger days. Of course, his antics and general ignorance would not matter if he is playing in a market that does not have a rabid media and that is probably where he should go. I think Boras and A-Rod know this and ultimately that is why he will not be a Yankee in 2008 ending what was truly a weird four years.

* * *

  • Milledge seems to have the right outlook.

    "I've already proved what I can do," Milledge said Friday. "Personally, I feel I deserve a chance. It might fall into the numbers game. I did everything I can do to make it possible for me to make the team. It's all up in the hands of the front office now."

    You cannot control everything, but you can control the way you play. If you just go out there and do your thing, everything else will eventually fall into place. Right now, Milledge just needs to produce and his time will come sooner rather than later.

  • In related news, Green lives on another planet.

    His batting average now is .145, down nine points from the previous day. And even with his first 15 at-bats -- all fruitless -- removed from the equation, Shawn Green is batting .200 this spring. But the numbers conceal some positives and muddle the picture.

    Green was hitless Friday in three at-bats in the Mets' 2-1 victory against the Cardinals. He flied out and grounded out twice. But the fly ball headed for the berm beyond right field before the March wind interfered.

    And Green still hasn't become accustomed to the changes in his swing. He's been getting to pitches too quickly, he says.

    "I know how it looks," he said. "But I'm still excited about the progress I've made."


    Riiiiiiigggghhhttt.

  • Congrats to Carlos Delgado!

  • Pedro is feeling good.

    Pedro Martinez said yesterday that his rehab "is going to perfection right now, and I can't be any happier with the way things are going."

    The Mets' ace, who is rehabbing his torn rotator cuff, said he is throwing at 75 feet.


  • The Duque shows some positive signs.

  • If Pedro speaks, I would listen.

    While Martinez is taking his time in what still is an August timetable for his return, he said Sanchez shouldn't be thinking of throwing off the mound, but instead he should just be concentrating on building up his strength.

    "I tried to seduce him to joining me down there," Martinez said, referring to the Mets' minor-league complex.

    "If you ask me, I wouldn't let him throw (off the mound). He should be doing more to rehab his shoulder."


    The Mets have the depth to make it through a month or so without Duaner and the big picture must be kept in mind. It's not about having Duaner back as early as possible, it's to have him pitching in the playoffs.
  • Labels:

    18 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Duaner's going back to NY for an MRI. Green is deluded, and yes, Lastings does have a good attitude. David Wright should enter to the Archies.

    12:24 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A-Rod's problem is that he's too nice. Being too nice makes you vulnerable. And of course, nice guys finish last. He's got to learn to simply shut the fuck up.

    Thinking about it a little more. I think Milledge deserves to be in the major leagues. He doesn't even have to start. He can be on the major league bench and still be productive. He has nothing to prove in the minors, he's dominated, everywhere he's gone.
    With Alou and Green in the outfield, Milledge and Endy will have plenty of playing time. And it gives the Mets the ability to put in a defensive replacement without any fear of an offensive decline. In Green's case it might even be an increase in offensive production. And that can impact and REALLY help the team, which is the point, isn't it?

    Hopefully Dirty Dirty listens to Pedro fucking Martinez. Dirty Dirty seems kinda hard-headed. He better listen because Pedro's right. The Mets can go a month without Dirty.

    12:42 PM

     
    Blogger Coop said...

    ARod is too nice??? Boy, Benny does he have you fooled. A-Rod believes his own hype and like Mike said, when you take a contract worth 1/4 of a bil and is the GDP of a small impoverished nation, you have a lot to live up to. The fact is, he's only out for #1 and #1 is AFraud. Am I the only one who never believes ANYTHING he says about team work and wanting the fans to like him, etc? Mike put his stats up there and not bad, good even great. (Those are stats I can understand though, BTW, hee hee). And when Juice-On Giambi called him out on his performance, he starts rattling off his stats and what his OBP was, etc. I mean, get real. He obviously is a narcissist. "Is it because I'm fabulously good looking? Is it because I'm biracial and smart?" WTF does that have to do with anything? Whatever. Benny, I'd like to have some of what you're smokin, honey!

    Mike was it you or someone else who posted Willie's thoughts on Green? He contradicted himself like 10 times in one sentence. It was like - yeah, Green has to earn his position but he's definitely "my guy" for RF but Milledge is good too and he is earning his chops too. I gotta say, though, Willie is definitely coming along. Yeah he still has those ambiguously gay statements, but at least he's no longer playing the "I trust my gut" card. Well he still does that but that's beside the point.

    In related news, Green lives on another planet. Priceless. String Bean needs to smoke what Benny and Arod are smoking. Oh wait maybe he is...

    *SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT* I have my "Why I love Oh Pea" piece up today. Check it out!

    *ANOTHER SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT* If anyone is in the NY area and hasn't seen it, BMF is hosting a Mets Opening Night party on April 1 at Blondie's Upper West. I can give more detes if you are interested, I'll probably post on My Summer Family. If you want to meet the Coop and Mr Coop, and some of the other characters on BMF, join us!!

    1:04 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice in the sense he's always giving interviews. Not all players give interviews and talk to the press after a game. He's a dumbass for approving every single request for interview or comment. With all those interviews he's bound to say something stupid. And he has plenty of times, he's a dumbass and needs to shut the fuck up.
    Unlike other people I'm just not going to hold it against him because he makes more money than me. Why should I? Good for him and god bless him for making all that money. Nobody shits on me when I get a raise, and nobody shits on you. We all get congragulated on the increase in pay.
    It's just hard for us to understand because its soo much money, but whatever, I don't hold it against athletes for making alot of money. Unless they say stupid shit like "I got kids to feed", then its offensive.

    Sadly I won't be able to attend Opening Night festivities. I'm not old enough to be at a bar and the other part is that right now I'm in England. I'm back in New York in mid-May, so I'll be without any live baseball until then.

    1:42 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    El Duques first inning yesterday was merde but the outing after that was genius! If he could pitch that way all season he would win 30 games.

    Green does not look any differant to me than he did last season. For all our sakes I hope he pulls out of this nose dive and becomes a good player again. I'm still not sold on the new reformed milledge.

    2:12 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Duaner MRI? I'm officially writing him off for the season. Something is rotten in Denmark...popping of scar tissue....just started throwing again after he should have been OK for opening day...UGH!

    Burgos better figure his shit out soon.

    A-Rod's not too nice...He's too sensitive and out of touch.

    Milledge should be taking four hacks a day...period. No bench for him.

    Coop....I am doing something for sure. I'm either going to be in Hoboken or the city. I could be swayed by everyone's location, but I have a few friends that I'll be with so I'm not sure they'll want to be dragged to the Upper East side....

    Anywho, keep me in the loop because I'll forget.

    And it wasn't me who posted the Willie contracting statements about Green stuff.

    Benny, when you make that much money, people expect you NOT to act like a douche. He comes off as out of touch and bit looney and his apparent stupidity is abrasive sometimes.

    Scott...HAVE FAITH IN LASTINGS!

    4:25 PM

     
    Blogger Coop said...

    Where is a good mets bar in Hoboken? It seems like every place I try to go to its infiltrated by Yankee fans. I am still going to Blondies though. In an effort to become more social

    9:14 PM

     
    Blogger Anthony said...

    Agreed on Duaner Mike...UGH!!! It's sounding like it's over. All of a sudden, the bullpen is starting to scare me.

    A-Rod is like a very rich rock star. Being a concert promoter, I come across many of these people on a regular basis. You hit it on the money, he's totally out of touch. He's so rich and so out of it, his mind is gone. He has no clue of reality.

    Please, get Milledge going now and let's stop this charade with Green. Put a bullet in it, he's done. Milledge is ready NOW.

    Extremely excited about my first baseball season living back in NYC after being gone for a long time. Moved back in Dec and it's been a brutal three months waiting for this. If I'm free, will check out Blondies.

    10:07 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm okay with a pen of the expected four, Smith, Park & Sele. I think that Park could be very effective as a reliever, and Pedro's suggestion that Dirty do the necessary strengthening exercises (that he didn't do this winter) is a good one. My ETA for him is June. Honestly only Sele worries me, but he's a better choice than Sosa or Burgos (or Adkins?) at least in the immediate. He may well leave/get traded once Guillermo Mota gets back. Anyway, the seven I mention are a fine pen.

    Lastings should start, but I doubt the Mets will write off their investment in Green so quickly. Alou has not looked very good either.

    5:30 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love Mike Pelfry.

    There I said it.

    1:36 PM

     
    Blogger I.M. Forme said...

    He will always be "Slappy Mc Pay-Rod" to me. The real question is how could he possibly renegotiate that contract? Would he get more $ elsewhere? Is that even possible?

    MMmm. Duaner already has a problem with tardiness. Not sure we want him hanging with Pedro.

    Milledge is hitting like 200 points above Green and saying all the right things. I'd rather have Green Monster Lastings in the field than Shawn Green. What's the problem here?

    3:32 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The problem is that Green is a "Proven Veteran™"
    Don't want to hurt any feelings. Whatever...

    7:11 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Perhaps Duaner should have considered doing some rehabilitation this fall/winter instead of just getting fat? 60 man DL here we come!

    3:41 PM

     
    Blogger Unknown said...

    From Ed Coleman: Sanchez has a hairline fracture, out four months.

    4:30 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I thought I'd revisit my comment on Duaner given the additional confirming news. Hairline fracture must surely stem from his taxi accident, so methinks I sounded harsh back there. True, we may have known about this earlier had Duaner taken his rehab a bit more seriously (in which case the Mets might have altered their pen priorities for the winter, though perhaps not). However, this was pretty much destined to happen.

    In any case, I am not really that worried about the pen for the moment. Mota coming back fresh in Game 50 will surely be a big kick in the hind, and I actually think Park may turn out to be quite successful as a reliever, given that he no longer will have to reserve his stuff for a five/six/seven inning appearance. If I was worried about anyone, it would likely be Sele though in all truth he has a decent track record. We'll see,....

    But do we really have to wait a week for the seasont to start? I'm ready! Are you ready?

    5:57 PM

     
    Blogger Coop said...

    You guys already beat me to it, but yeah Dirty out probably for season. Omar has also alluded that he might be out Met-wise.

    8:50 PM

     
    Blogger Coop said...

    It also surprises me that no one has even remotely thought that he could in essence re-injure his shoulder.

    8:51 PM

     
    Blogger Coop said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    8:51 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home