A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Enough Already

I was going to write about another topic, but then I puked all over myself and my laptop. I was checking out ESPN's poll about who you (the reader) thinks the ultimate outfield would be comprised of. I bit...I thought it might be fun to play in the land of make believe. I went for a defensive outfield that could do it all. Throw, run, hit, cause havoc all over the place, and actually possess skill. Silly me for taking it seriously.

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation. Your responses in bold text.


1) Who is your ideal left fielder?

61.1% Carl Crawford
27.7% Manny Ramirez
4.7% Nick Swisher
2.1% Jason Bay
1.4% Pat Burrell
1.4% Raul Ibanez
1.1% Carlos Lee
0.5% Adam Dunn

2) Who is your ideal center fielder?

55.4% Johnny Damon
32.1% Carlos Beltran
4.4% Andruw Jones
2.2% Vernon Wells
1.8% Alfonso Soriano
1.5% Torii Hunter
1.3% Grady Sizemore
1.3% Juan Pierre

3) Who is your ideal right fielder?

55.4% Bobby Abreu
29.8% Vladimir Guerrero
6.3% Ichiro Suzuki
3.8% Jermaine Dye
2.6% Michael Cuddyer
1.0% Jeff Francouer
0.9% J.D. Drew
0.2% Magglio Ordonez

Total Votes: 326,628


Anyone want to bet Melky Cabrera or Hideki Matsui would have garnered 55.4% of the vote as well if they were a choice for leftfield? I know this has no bearing on anything of any importance, but if 160,000+ people voted for Johnny Damon over Vernon Wells, Grady Sizemore, Andrew Jones, Alfonso Soriano, and Carlos Beltran, I do not have much faith in the future of humanity.

* * *

  • I feel bad for the guy. I want him to succeed and live up to 75% of the expectations laid on him, but that ship has sailed.

  • Twelve feet of snow...TWELVE FUCKING FEET!

  • In case you missed it, John Sickels has an interesting prospect smackdown....


  • You cannot make this stuff up.

    An animal lover was mauled to death by cheetahs after entering their cage at a zoo in northern Belgium, authorities and zoo officials said Monday.

    Karen Aerts, 37, of Antwerp, was found dead in the cage, Olmense Zoo spokesman Jan Libot said. Police said they ruled out any foul play.

    Authorities believe Aerts, a regular visitor to the zoo, hid in the park late Sunday until it closed and managed to find the keys to the cheetah cage.

    "Karen loved animals. Unfortunately the cheetahs betrayed her trust," Libot said.

    One of the cats that killed Aerts was named Bongo, whom the woman had adopted under a special program. She paid for Bongo's food, Libot said.

    Labels:

  • 19 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My favorite is the Center Fielder vote. Where more people consider a guy who has NEVER played centerfield and only has 1 year experience in the outfield in general over Torri fucking Hunter and Grady Sizemore.
    That is probably more offensive and disgusting than Johnny Damon being voted #1.
    Hey we're the same dumbasses that vote for the all star games too.
    The fans are stupid.

    I feel bad for Benson. He gets shit on for not living up to a "scouts" expectations, with that said, I'm so glad we don't have to deal with that.

    I saw that prospect smackdown from Sickels, VERY solid. I love the fact that both New York teams have a RF prospect of the same exact age ready to contribute at about the same time and have just about equal skill sets, at least at this point. Its gonna be a fun 15 years with those two.

    Also the fantasy baseball stuff begins thursday, I know I got emails from some of you but just to make double sure, who wants to join it again this year?

    6:41 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The animals didn't betray her trust! That's just stupid. Why even make a statement to that effect. The lady walked into the cheetahs' cage. Suicide, intentional or not.

    Not much remorse on Benson, but even in this, Omar is brilliant.

    Anyone want to bet how much Mo Rivera is worth on the open market? I'd say he makes $15 million easy.

    6:55 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Benny…let me fix your statement. Fans aren’t stupid, just Yankee fans. Other fans probably vote fairly for deserving guys. There will always be guys in smaller markets that do not garner press like Joe Crede and Matt Holliday, but for the most part I think the consensus votes with their head. Yankee fans blindly vote anything with pinstripes in even when it’s a poll that means nothing. Anyone that can seriously say they would take Damon over that entire list with the exception of Juan Pierre is just nuts.

    I will join for sure. I’m going to be better this year…I hope so anyway. My problem is that I get home for work so late, it’s hard for me to vote. I can always stay late in the office to do the draft, but that’s no fun. We’ll try and has out the best time for everyone. For the draft.

    Mariano worth $15 mill? To Boston maybe. I think there is a lot of risk with his arm. With the Mets set at closer, it’s hard to see anyone but the Yanks..Boston spending that much on a closer at this point. Of course I can see the Red Sox doing it to just stick it to the Yankees, but the big Stein would NEVER let that happen. That being said, with Humberto Sanchez looking like the heir apparent now that they couldn’t land Mike Gonzalez, I’m sure they will bring him back on another two year deal with an option barring his arm falling off.

    8:54 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wait, police ruled out foul play? So the person died naturally then? Innocent cheetahs, whoulda thunk it? I think they were framed.

    Mo is not going anywhere. He is saying this to get his money. And he will.

    I would pick an OF of Alou, Beltran and Green, but only because I'm not a Mets homer. Just keeping it real.

    9:18 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Quite honestly….Alou stacks up with those other leftfielders in a very underwhelming group of left fielders. If healthy, he’s going to be put up big numbers in NY…as for Green, deep down, I know you are kidding.

    I cannot believe that Bongo would bite the hand that feeds….shocking actually. The betrayal on Bongo’s behalf is disheartening. I mean what has this world come to? Cheetahs named Bongo? Hippies trying to climb into cheetah cages? A wild animal killing something?

    9:35 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ok fine, sub Milledge for Green in my dream OF...

    Let this be a lesson for hippies everywhere: smoke the animals up before fraternizing with them. It's simple, really.

    By the way, Dave O'Brien from the Atlanta Journal Constitution surprisingly picks the Braves to win the NL East. He then says to call him a homer, but he really thinks it's going to work out for the Braves. What objective analysis, just like the Mets get from their hometown guys!!

    10:08 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Only Yankee fans are dumb? Mike, have you ever sat in the bleechers when the Phillies are in town?

    Re: my $15 million (well, not MY $15 million though I wish ....). How much does Billy Wagner get paid? Nearly $11 million a year or is it $12? $15 is quite possible.

    Braves win the pennant! Braves win the pennant! That's the little league team from my neighborhood! Bastards!....

    11:36 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm in the fantasy baseball.

    How did I miss this? Anna 'Nicole' Benson asked Kris for a divorce in March last year, but rescinded it within a week?

    12:12 PM

     
    Blogger AE said...

    i'm in on fantasy baseball...however, the categories from last year have to change. triples, sacrifices, and complete games? out of there. there's no way to forecast any of that...except we all know jose will get his fare share of triples. also, it can't be 18 guys this year. it dilutes the player pool to nothingness.

    as far as my fantasy outfield, i would go with jason bay, carlos beltran, and i'd move grady sizemore to right. i know that's not part of the exercise, but i don't give a fuck...my outfield, i can do what i want.

    12:14 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Anna 'Nicole' Benson's even in wikipedia. Yikes - check it out

    NO TWO CATCHERS THIS YEAR, BENNY! Also, we could expand the player pool by having smaller rosters, maybe 16 players each instead of 21.

    12:20 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love O'Brien's reasons for picking the Braves to. He says, " Call me a homer, but I really just think it’s going to work out for the Braves, and I don’t have any faith in the Mets’ starting rotation."

    Because he feels its going to work out? Haha. Very nice. Not because of talent or anything but because he feels its all going to work out in the end. He sounds like ARod during his press conference in Texas BEFORE he got traded when he said the best line ever in the istory of press conferences:
    ""I'm probably pretty sure it will work out for the best."

    Also I think the Braves rotation has the same question marks as the Mets.
    Glavine and El Duque are question marks becuase they're 40? Well so is Smoltz then.
    Hampton? He's coming back from Tommy fucking John surgery. Hasn't pitched in a year and a half.
    Hudson? Had the worst year ever. If he was on the Mets staff, he would have had the highest ERA.
    John Maine is a question mark, why? Oh you mean because he hasn't "done it" for a full year, just like my good ol' pal Chuck James who is expected to produce but in the same situation as Maine.

    And yeah, I'm changing alot this season, haha. I'm a man of the people and listened to people who emailed me and sent some feedback.

    12:27 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Danny…those are truly wise words and great advice to live by.

    Braves winning the NL East? I thought the old you have to give them the benefit of doubt argument got thrown out the window when they failed to win the NL East last season? The Mets are the odds on favorites. Is the gap closer? Of course, but lets get real here. They took the entire month of September off. The race wasn’t even as close as it seemed. They have a looooong way to fall to be even with everyone else.

    DG…point taken. They are gems. Gems….

    Yeah, Mariano could get that, but I still think only two teams would pay it. The Yanks or the Red Sox. Smart money is the Yankees on another two year deal for tons of money.

    “How did I miss this? Anna 'Nicole' Benson asked Kris for a divorce in March last year, but rescinded it within a week?”

    Classic…That was luscious story. Sorry you missed it.

    AE,

    We’ll sort that out for sure. All suggestions are welcome.

    At least your outfield makes sense, which is my gripe about the Damon and Abreu votes. Silly stuff.

    The two catchers are definitely out. I say get rid of all of them! They are useless in fake baseball!

    12:28 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Benny…it’s all laughable how they point the Mets rotation as being in dire straights the Braves are all set. Laughable I tell you.

    12:30 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Benny Blanco from da Bronx for President. He's a man of the people, a populist.

    1:24 PM

     
    Blogger Kenny said...

    No fantasy baseball for me this year. I will never handle two teams at the same time again. That killed me.

    What did I finish? Like 3rd out of 18 or something?

    All I know is that I beat Mike after all of his hype. I'm making like George Costanza and getting out while I'm ahead.

    As for stupid fans, I live in South Carolina. Atlanta fans are a shade above retarded. All I've heard this winter is about how they'll be in first again. They refuse to entertain the idea that they could finish 4th behind NY, Philly, and Florida.

    1:37 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "in 2006 Braves starters posted a 4.71 ERA, or one one-hundredth of a run better than the Colorado Rockies" -Dave Obrien...you ARE a homer!

    1:52 PM

     
    Blogger I.M. Forme said...

    hey Sidd--
    I also somehow missed parts of the Bensons saga--but what i really missed was this:
    i also didnt realize that basically the oath she took to sleep with the entire team if Miss Benson cheated on her,the one we all laughed at for months...it came true! After all that...the dumbass cheated on her! Let that roll around in your mind.

    So this begs the question: Does Trashelled get a shot with Anna now? She pretty much owes it to him, and he will be right there in the Baltimore clubhouse, drunk on pinot noir.

    9:59 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Trash is available now, so I guess we will all have to stay tuned.

    She could go through the Baltimore clubhouse with her own reality show on the Playboy channel!

    9:56 AM

     
    Blogger 5689 said...

    zzzzz2018.9.7
    golden goose
    michael kors outlet
    longchamp outlet
    ralph lauren uk
    ray ban sunglasses
    coach outlet online
    coach outlet
    supreme clothing
    off white outlet
    nike shoes

    9:10 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home