A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Let The Good Times Roll

Baseball is back. Delicious.

  • Say what you want about Mr. Billy Wagner, but I believe he is a great guy to have on the team. I also believe he has been a lot better than people give him credit for and he is still an elite closer.

    "Who knows," Wagner said. "He may be closing here next year. And you want him to be prepared and ready to go. He needs to know that this is a business and it's work, and there are just little intangibles that he needs to know before he gets here."

  • Perez, Maine, and Pedro look great. Sweet baby jesus it is going to be a good season with a tremendous rotation.

  • Carlos Beltran uncharacteristically starts talking some trash. I think that is a good thing for Beltran to exhibit some intensity and jump into the fray.

    Judging from his unexpected prediction about the NL East, the soft-spoken Beltran appeared to be hiding a brash side, too.

    "It's good to hear him talk that way, because we feel that we're good," third baseman David Wright said. "I don't feel the need to talk about anything, because talk is cheap. But it's good to see that Carlos feels that way."


    The Phillies are strangely quiet after running their mouths last year. That is either an attempt at taking the high road or them believing the hype.

  • Cherry picking is not fair.

    "He's my right fielder, so he's going to play,'' Randolph said of the former Washington National. "When I see a guy like Ryan, I don't look at the past.''

    The Mets' boss might want to rethink that philosophy in this case.

    After all, Church's left-handed bat has pop (he's a career .271 hitter), but he hit just .229 against lefties last season - a full 58 points worse than he fared against right-handers.


    Two things. First, Randolph is an idiot. He consistently inconsistent. While he always puts guys on notice and says they need to earn their job, he magically does not do that for other guys that have the same things to prove. Whatever... Secondly, why must people always be hatin' my man Church? He obviously is reading these things as well and is getting annoyed.

    Church is eager to take on his skeptics, though, insisting his woes against lefties are overblown.

    "I've hit lefties," he said, bristling. "I'm a .255 career hitter against lefties. Last year was just a weird situation, where I would sit for a week, then start against a lefty. I was never able to get in a groove. Last year was not what I'm about."


    Frank Robinson jerked him around and he got jerked around by Acta last year as well. The dude is good. I am willing to put my Glavine jersey on the line for him.

  • Omar and I still believe in Pelfrey and he has a the right outlook. I still think he is ace material. Yeah, I said it. What are you going to do about it?

  • Gotay? On notice.

    "If when he plays there he looks good, it's going to help him," Randolph said about Gotay. "There are a lot of guys still out there. This year a lot of free agents are still looking for jobs."

    Shocking. Why not keep your mouth shut and let him play without having to read threats that shitty old guys are still out there?

  • Brian Schneider as integral as Johan Santana? Wow. Just wow. I mean, who can write such a thing with a straight face?

  • Swellicious.

    "He's filthy, man," said backup catcher Ramon Castro. "He's not afraid of anybody. He doesn't care who you are."

    Despite some reports that Sanchez has some attitude issues, he seems like he is on the right track. If he is healthy, the Mets have a shot to have a tremendous bullpen. Really, Feliciano, Heilman, and even Wager do not get enough credit for how good they really are. If the Mets can be four deep in top tier relievers, things will be nice in Queens.

  • Mr. Billy Wags would prefer to not pitch with a four run lead.

    * * *

  • Rios had a great season last year, but I'm picking him as the #1 candidate to break out into a super star. Twins fans should take notice because Gomez and Rios are strikingly similar and Gomez will likely follow a path similar to him.

  • Princess K-Rod speaks.

    Francisco Rodriguez reported Sunday for what he says likely will be his last season with the Angels.

    "Yeah, probably. Probably," the two-time All-Star closer said. "If they wanted me here, they would have done something a long time ago. But in the meantime, I have to put that out of my head. I can't be thinking they don't want me here or anything like that. Just do my job."


    Another day another athlete feeling unwanted. Boo hoo...

  • Matt Murton is a masochist.
  • Labels:

    9 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It’s been a few weeks since I posted so my comments will touch a number of Mike’s posts and as usual be useless.

    After reading the blog “Stuff White People Like” I glanced at the color of my easily burned skin. Then I looked in a mirror and noticed my blue eyes and blond hair and concluded that I can’t be white. But then again I’m Jewish and Jews are not white, right? Actually I’ve noticed that School Teachers (especially Jewish ones) tend to fit the profile of that blog. I assume the author of that blog is trying to be humorous and he was partially successful. All I can say is if someone wants me to recycle the bottle in my hand he should bend over and prepare to receive a bottle up his ass.

    Even though I could throw hard and hit a little I was a terrible athlete while most of my gfs were athletically gifted. So they could legitimately beat me in most sports. But have you ever had sex on a trampoline?

    Bill James has contributed to arm chair GMs and their roto leagues as well as legitimate GMs everywhere. His number crunching as applied to baseball makes for interesting reading. But, if Bill James is a genius why is he not the best GM in baseball earning millions of dollars each year for constructing a new version of the 1950’s Yankees.

    The days of the bible hitter being praised are long gone. But there are still situations where I want the hitter to get the bat off his shoulder.

    I’m just happy that the Mets farm system at least has some “ifs” to go along with FM.

    The Mets staff has the potential to be something special. But as Mike said they must be healthy.

    I still want the addition of a strong right handed bat for the outfield. Somebody may be available towards the end of ST.

    Pelfrey has shown himself to be a hard throwing right hander with varying degrees of command and a sometimes vicious slider that is absent more than present. Unfortunately there have been many prospects over the years that have fit this description.

    Mike if you love lefties with an outstanding slider you would have loved Steve Carlton.

    7:05 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Billy Wagner is annoying. His quotes aren't even cool, clever, or funny, or anything, they don't accomplish anything.
    I will give him this though, Billy Wagner is still pretty good. I've heard on many occasions on ESPN, SNY, and MLB Radio about how the Mets are a question mark because of thier bullpen and how Billy Wagner is a question mark. Are they serious? Billy wagner blows a game jus tlike every other close out in the world and sure he makes it interesting more than I'd like but the guy is good. He had a 2.63 ERA which was better than K Rod last year.
    I think it was Joe Benigno keeps bitching about Billy Wagner, its about time he shuts up.
    Speaking of K-Rod, that depressing frown will dissapear when he rakes i nthat dough next winter.

    John Maine is the token white boy in the rotation.

    Having faith in Pelfrey is one thing. Thinking he's ace material, ehh, I dunno, meng. What am igoig to do about it? Well I guess make fun of you.

    LoL, man, Willie Randolph is such a dick. All you gotta do is see the old school Jeff Keppinger quotes from like 2 years on the side of your site to remeber that Willie Randolph is not only an idiot but he hasn't learned a damn thing since he got the job.

    Allegedly Dirty Sanchez has throw nto batters already. He's wayy ahead of everyone else, that's a good thing.

    Guys, Umm, I sent a bunch of invites to the Fantasy League, accept them please, I want to make sure I got people that want to be involved. I'm getting nervous because we only have 7 people that are officially signed on.
    So again, whoever reads this site, please check your emails because I sent a bunch of invites for the fantasy league.
    If anyone reads this and wants to join, please email me at eyedta@hotmail.com and write me a message about wanting to join, thank you.

    Two by Four, Jews are not white. Jews are thier own thing. It's just the way it is.
    Also, I think Bill James has said plenty of times that he doesn't want to be a GM of a team. If I remember correctly he said its too time consuming and likes his scheudle with the red sox better.

    8:15 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gold... pure gold.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SPB9IglzxG8

    9:50 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great stuff Benny. I was about to post it from another web.

    -Will

    10:33 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    lasting time i checked, being jewish was like being a christian or muslim. not a race thing but a religion thing. its pretty annoying when i hear people say they're jewish in terms of race.

    1:20 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    willie randolph is a fucking idiot. i guess he said church has the spot to take pressure off the guy.

    gomez is gonna be good. pelfrey is gonna be really good.

    1:23 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hank finally said soemthing that i could agree with.

    1:23 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    being jewish was like being a christian or muslim. not a race thing but a religion thing. its pretty annoying when i hear people say they're jewish in terms of race.

    I just want to say that I was joking with my previous comment and that I agree with you COMPLETELY!
    What is up with that? I don't get it. Anybody can be a jewish person. If I wanted to you I can convert to Judaism tomorrow but odds are I wouldn't be considered "jewish".
    Now if they wanna talk about being Israeli, then we're talking.

    Man, Delgado is very important to this team, I really hope he's not "done". But some of the swings he was taking were SOO bad that... he has to have learned from that, right?

    7:06 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Ace Benny!!!! Ace material!!!

    10:04 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home