A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Good or Great?

Rob Neyer is one smart man.

Ryan Dempster says the Cubs are going to win the World Series and Jimmy Rollins says the Phillies are going to win 100 games. I don't think it really hurts anything for players to engage in these sorts of rousing predictions. But as Homer Derby's Richie Rich points out, both predictions are unlikely to come true now that Johan Santana's joined the National League. Just to pile on, I'll note that the projections have started coming in, and the Mets are easily the best-looking team in the league, with roughly 95 wins on the proverbial paper (the Cubs are next, just short of 90).

The Mets are pretty much the best team in the NL heading into the season. You can give me the 'ole games are not won on paper line, but that is loser talk from people who are fans of teams that are just not as good. At this point of the year, we can only analyze things with the information we have which just so happens supports the notion the Mets are significantly better than every other team in the National League.

Also, they could very well be one of the top three teams in the entire Major Leagues. While the NL is generally referred to as the junior circuit or AAAA, the Mets are an AL powerhouse-esque team. They can stack up with anyone and I do include the Red Sox in there as well. While I do not disagree the Red Sox are the top team in the league, there are a few teams that are close behind and the Mets are one of those teams.

If the Mets do not get flooded with complacency again, they should roll over the league. They have three legitimate MVP candidates and one of the favorites to win the Cy Young Award. You would be hard pressed to find many holes on the team that will break camp and head up North. The bullpen will be very deep if Duaner comes back strong, the rotation is five deep, and the lineup has no holes in it and is well balanced to boot. Get excited. This Met team is much closer to great than good.

* * *

  • Too right handed or not, Fukodome needs to bat second. Actually, he should bat first. Who the hell decided that Alfonso Soriano and his .327 career OBP is a leadoff hitter? Am I the only person who is missing something here? Gordy seems to get it, but Lou does not. I would worry about breaking up righties after I worry about making sure the guys at the top of the order get on base.

  • Good times...

    He wanted Johan Santana and Andy Pettitte to both be in the New York Yankees rotation this season. The Yankees decided to go in another direction, keeping all their kid pitchers and banking on the veteran Pettitte.

    "The bottom line is that I would have liked to have them both," Steinbrenner told The Post on the eve of Petite’s arrival at spring training.


    I cannot wait. Johan will be ruling the baseball universe while the kiddies will have some growing pains in the Bronx. Old Hank is going to have a coronary.

  • Pedro is proud of what he has done.

    "I dominated that era and I did it clean," he said. "I can stand by my numbers and I can be proud of them."

    And dominate he did.

    "I have a small frame and when I hurt all I could do was take a couple of Aleve or Advil, a cup of coffee and a little mango and an egg -- and let it go!" he said.

  • As if you needed another reason to not argue with Rob Neyer’s assertion that David Wright is the favorite to win the MVP Award. I think things are setting up nicely for the Mets to dominate the 2008 Awards and make some serious noise in the playoffs.

  • Jon Heyman tries to rank the top ten GMs. Always a mighty tough endeavor, but I think he did well. I actually think Jon Daniels should have cracked the top ten for what he is building in Texas and Kenny Williams should probably be knocked out. I'm a big Williams fan because he is go-er, but I would say he is out of the top ten. Oh, 'Stand' Pat Gillick should be out as well. What makes him one of the best in the game?

  • Carlos feels like he is ready to rebound this season and I think he will most assuredly be better. How much better? Let us not go crazy, but he will be much more of a contributor in '08 than he was in '07.

  • Interesting tidbit...

    When Delgado entered the clubhouse, reliever Matt Wise reminded him of their first meeting, back on Aug.15, 2000, when Wise was a rookie with the Angels and Delgado was a Blue Jay. Angels manager Mike Scioscia told Wise to throw Delgado four straight fastballs inside. Delgado squared to bunt and Wise unintentionally drilled him in the groin - the first hit batter of Wise's career. The two didn't cross paths again until they bumped into each other two months later at a Newport Beach, Calif., restaurant, when Delgado was visiting Shawn Green. A scared Wise hopped in his car and drove off.

  • The positive reports about Duaner are great to hear. The Mets are seemingly putting together a shut down bullpen.

  • 'Tis great days we live in. It is all shits and giggles in the Met camp with Santana there, Sanchez looking great, Wright being sugary, new outlooks abound, etc. while the Yankees have to deal with a blubbering Andy Pettitte. Awesome.
  • Labels: ,

    12 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Rob Neyer is really smart and has NO bias, in my opinion that also makes him a dick. So for me to see that he's writing good things about the Mets make me smile. No one keeps it realer than Neyer.

    Soriano as leadoff is dumb. Fukudome is going to be an OBP machine. I do'nt think its about Lou though, Soriano whined about wanting to bat leadoff because that's where he felt comfortable, whatever. You gotta manage ego's as well. I consider Lou a smart man and I think he knows better.

    Pat Gillick's inclusion in that list is more like a lifetime look into his career rather than what he's done in the past couple of years. I like the fact that Byrnes in Arizona and Daniels are being given some resposibility with thier teams despite being young. Maybe its a perception but it really seems like ownership trusts these guys and let them make thier own decisions.

    I'm copying and pasting what I wrote yesterday regarding the fantasy league. I want everyone who got an invite to join up already. Sorry for being annoying.
    Guys, Umm, I sent a bunch of invites to the Fantasy League, accept them please, I want to make sure I got people that want to be involved. I'm getting nervous because we only have 7 people that are officially signed on.
    So again, whoever reads this site, please check your emails because I sent a bunch of invites for the fantasy league.
    If anyone reads this and wants to join, please email me at eyedta@hotmail.com and write me a message about wanting to join, thank you.

    10:48 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Neyer has no agenda even though he can rub people the wrong way.

    Soriano needs to suck it up and Lou needs to not worry about who is whining. I mean, he complained about moving into the outfield, right? He got over it. He'll get over this.

    Gillick was criticized in Seattle for not making the little deals to put that team over the top....hence 'Stand' Pat. He showed an ability to assemble a team, but not make some peripheral moves on the got to augment the team. That is NOT good.

    Are we capping the league? How many teams are we gunning for? I can post something. I think I forgot to post something before...that should get some more people.

    10:53 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    15 or 16 should be fine. No more than that though, don't want a watered down talent pool.
    At the very least I'd like 12 or 13. We currently have 9.
    Oh, umm, invite your friend, he is the reigning champ!

    10:59 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Isn't that all the more reason to not ask him back?

    11:01 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nah man, better reason, bring him aboard, haha.

    11:38 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "fuck you do me" needs to earn a spot in the line up if you ask me

    12:42 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Ossy, you sound like Willie. Why don't people get a chance to fail rather than have to spend three months earning their way up? He has the skills and they should translate. Let him help the team from day #1.

    12:49 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    that is the most insulting thing i have ever experienced....


    this is the difference between me and willie.

    gotay hit .295 with a .351 obp at the mlb level last year.

    there is a sample size.

    if the fukudome goes in and hits, then yea give him a slot. willie would let him hit .350 in the 8 hole.

    you are cruel mike...

    1:03 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Ha...Maybe I was to harsh. But Fukodome has a sammple size. As do minor leaguers. The minors and Japan are not foreign unquantifiable things. Wright should have been batting higher than 5thd way sooner than midway though 2007. Ridiculous.

    Ichiro and Hideki fared well. Kaz was better than people give him credit for in his first season. Should Pence and Braun bat 7th? I agree with Bobby Cox. If the kid his 3rd in the minors and you need a 3rd batter, great. Trial by fire. Let them show their skill.

    1:25 PM

     
    Blogger Andrew said...

    Pat Gillick still has god-level respect in Toronto. He was our GM from '77 to '94 during the Golden Years.

    He managed some fantastic trades while he was in Toronto. McGriff and Fernandez for Alomar and Carter :), getting Fernandez back for Darrin Jackson, Doyle Alexander for Duane Ward... and it goes on.

    His drafting was fantastic too. David Wells, Mike Timlin, Pat Hentgen, Mark Eichorn, Shawn Green, Carlos Delgado.. good times.

    Hopefully JP can replicate some of this... I'm getting tired of being on the outside looking in.

    2:54 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Ah, the Golden Years. Those were good times up north.

    Of course, that begs the question, does what he did back them or with the Mariners in the mid to late 90s make him one of the best today?

    He's been rather bad at getting free agent talent and has not been doing all that great on trades.

    JP has his head on straight. You have three guys on the front end who could be in the top ten for Cy Young voting. They are good team. Problem is there are two 90+ win teams in front.

    Call me crazy though, but I think they can finish above the Yankees. A lot has to go right with that young pitching and relying too much on the kids could be dangerous. I mean, if Hughes and Kennedy struggle, who steps in? Toss Mussina into the mix as well because he got ousted from the rotation. Joba is another rookie with only a few innings. I’m not seeing much depth there…it could get ugly.

    3:01 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I want to commend Pedro for doing what he did "CLEAN"
    With that being said... cheating has always gone on in baseball, from, pitchers "doctoring" the ball, batters "corking" the bat, "stealing" signs,etc., etc., so let me understand this in which Andy P. admits taking HGH and since he did take that "stuff" he made an additional 50-75 MILLION $$$$$$$$.
    The $$$$$$to be made as a major league player in any of the major sports is incredible and as I write this there most likely is a mad chemist trying to making a new potion that will not be detectable so athletes can get the "RICHES" they think they deserve.

    6:56 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home