A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Chats, chats, and more chats 6/5/08

First up...Steve Phillips.



(yes that was done with MS Paint...I have Photoshop but I have no idea what I'm doing)

Steve Phillips: (1:40 PM ET ) I lived through similar circumstances with Bobby Valentine. Ozzie, like Bobby, lacks that filter between his brain and his mouth that the rest of us seem to have. That being said, the passion and emotion that makes Ozzie good as a manager is the same thing that gets him in trouble every few weeks. With the team in first place and seeming to still respond to Ozzie, I think it would be wrong to make a move and let him go. Sometimes with managers like Ozzie, you can't focus on the content of what is said, you just have to focus on the emotion and where it is coming from.

Steve Phillips: (1:41 PM ET ) Plus, they just signed him to an extension, and it's highly unlikely that anybody would make a change with that much time left. Is till think he is effective as a manager.


There are two things that no one is allowed to do.
1) Put baby in the corner.
2) Say such mean and hurtful things about Bobby V. Sure, he was not my favorite, but even mentioning him in the same breath while speaking about what Ozzie did is preposturous and especially so coming from Steve Phillips.

Chuck (Massachusetts): Who do you think the Pirates will take with the #2 pick and what is your assessment on how the new management is doing?

Steve Phillips: (1:52 PM ET ) From what I've heard, it sounds like they'll take Pedro Alvarez, third baseman from Vandy, even though he is represented by Scott Boras. The new management is doing what they can, and it's difficult to judge over such a short period of time. They have an interesting decision to make on Xavier Nady in that they have to decide whether he's figured something out, or whether he's at his peak value now. I think they should trade him.


Trade Nady and trade Bay. It sounds harsh, but they can draft Alvarez and give him whatever he wants since they will save cash by not having the Bay and Nady around and they can get a nice haul for both. Of course both should be deal if they can get a princely return, but they should at least try. This is a long term project and they should mimic the Marlins method of rebuilding for sure because they are far away.

All in all Phillips answered twelve or thirteen questions and none of any substance. Congrats.

Next up...Keith Law.

Dennis (New Canaan, CT): Keith your draft coverage has been incredible, and I am excited for the draft tomorrow. I have 2 questions, first are you going to be on during the coverage tomorrow? Secondly, what directions do you think the Mets will go tomorrow?

Keith Law: (2:26 PM ET ) I will be on, analyzing picks with Jim Callis of BA. I hear the Mets are leaning towards bats at both 18 and 22, and maybe a reliever at 33 to come to the big leagues this year.


Music to my ears! It seems they are hot on Weeks though, but I am on the fence with him. I want a masher. Masher!!! Although, Ike Davis and Jamile Weeks would not be the worst thing. Wright, Reyes, Davis, and Weeks in the infield with Martinez and Beltran in the outfield? Could be good stuff all around. Maybe Castro at 18, Davis at 22, and Weeks at 33 if he falls a bit. If not Havens should do at 33 in place of Weeks as I am just not seeing a big enough difference to overdraft Weeks.

The Mets need to just buy their way out of trouble. If they take two hitters early, they can take the best available arm unless they can get a steal at 33 with a bat that dropped and they can go pitching later. Take some high ceiling guys like when they nabbed Efferson in 2007, but actually sign them this time, and shell out tremendous piles of cash for Micheal Inoa. Their best prospect was an international signee and if there is a once in a lifetime arm out there, they need to be pursued by the Mets.

Inoa, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound righty, creates easy velocity through relatively sound mechanics. At the workout, Inoa consistently sat at 91-92 mph with his fastball, topping out at 94. He also throws a softer breaking ball which was inconsistent at times, and will also show a splitter. Inoa turns 17 in September.

Of course the tricky part is getting past the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Braves, etc. who will be chasing the lanky Domincican, but the Mets are in dire need here and big time draft with bats coupled with some high ceiling pitchers in the 2nd and 3rd round and Inoa would be a tremendous one year improvement. I feel the need to repeat it. It would be tremendous one year improvement.

Two more names mentioned in the article are Johenser Cevallos and Carlos Perez. Let us see if Omar can pull off some magic and put the money the Mets are getting from the 20% ticket hike, $5 dollar hot dogs, $8 beers, and $15 parking to good use.

Ken (Tarzana, Ca): Tell me the Padres are not going to draft a college pitcher who needs Tommy John surgery?

Keith Law: (2:27 PM ET ) I don't think they've done that on purpose in the past.


Awesome.

Jonathan (Tampa, FL): What is your take on UC Davis Irvine catcher Jake Jeffries?

Keith Law: (2:48 PM ET ) Late first day draft. Good catch and throw guy, makes a lot of contact, probably 20 or 30 power.


Seems like another option if Castro is not their guy at 18 or 22.

John Manual...

Rob (Cranford, NJ): Hey Jim. The Mets seem to be linked with Ike Davis and Jason Castro as first round picks. What can you tell me about them? Thanks.

John Manuel: I did our West draft stuff so I'll be answering a lot of West questions. The Mets have been linked hard to those players, and I am particularly a fan of Ike Davis. He got better this year, incorporated his lower half into his swing more and improved his power considerably. Long track record, big league dad (Ron Davis), I think Davis can be a big league corner OF. Jason Castro, Stanford's catcher, hit well on the Cape last summer and carried it over to the spring, he's got a lot of AJ Pierzynski in him as a player, without all the drama.


I would not be unhappy about that duo for the Mets.

Fred (Davidson, NC): Wouldn't the Mets be better off drafting Tim Melville and Garrit Cole with their two first round picks than Davis and Castro if available?

John Manuel: Maybe, but I happen to like those two college bats.


Neither would Manual...Besides, taking two young arms like that is dicey to say the least. How many of those work out verus college bats? I am not turning into some guy who hates to draft upside and wants to go conservative, it is just that these bats are extremely good and Lawrie would be a great pick as a high school bat if he falls.

* * *


  • tc added a nice bit to the conversation the other day that should not go unnoticed.

    Jon Miller, Joe Morgan, Tim McCarver, and Joe Buck need to be put out of their misery for the sake of all humanity.

    What is just crazy is that no one gets it. I mean, there is no way they get it. How can these TV execs and TV producers think this is ok? I do not HATE Morgan and Miller like I hate McCarver and Buck, but I can appreciate anyone's disdain for them. It is not like I do not get it, but is there that much of a dearth of talent out there?

    Even the Yankees, who are the classiest sports team in the galaxy, have two horrible teams on the TV and the radio. I mean worse than the FOX and ESPN teams bad. I mean Rock Star bad (I have not seen it, but my brother had bought it in some bargain bin because he wanted to see it anyway and it cost as much to buy as a rental but took the DVD out midway and actually broke it in half).

    I, too, am a fan of binge drinking copious amounts of alcohol on the weekends. It makes me forget about things like my job, my girlfriend, and my asshole boss (if you are reading this, you are truly a dick, ... and I did nothing in work today but watch YouTube videos of draft prospects).

    We salute you! I'm typing my blog during work so fuck you to my boss too! However, I actually like mine so I am issuing a public apology because I already feel bad. Sorry.

  • Josh Hamilton is good.
           2007 2008
    Games 90 49
    ABs 298 243
    Runs 52 43
    Hits 87 80
    2Bs 17 16
    HRs 19 17
    RBIs 47 67
    BA .292 .329
    OPB .368 .375
    SLG .554 .630
    OPS+ 131 171
    So basically he has equaled his output from last season, which was already very impressive, in 59 games this season.


  • K-Rod can barely feed his family.

    So far he has earned $11.9 million and is earning $10 million this season. By my accounts, that $21.9 million should be able 'take care of them' and give them things he 'never had'. I have no problem if people want to chase their highest payday, but I have an issue with them doing so under some ridiculous premise that he is trying to feed his family. He will get $50 million at least no matter where he goes giving him a total of $71.9+ million in guaranteed and pocketed money.

  • Jose Reyes is on fire. Fire! His OPS is right there with Hanley Ramirez and his OPS+ is about 10 off. The Mets took down Matt Cain and went on to win their seventh out of nine games. Smells like a hot streak to me.

  • John Smoltz pulls a shocking move and gets shoulder surgery. I completely thought he would be done after this year rather than get surgery, but this is a shocker. Let's see if he can make it back at 42 years of age after yet another surgery.

    The only pitcher in baseball history with 200 wins and 150 saves already has returned from four operations on his elbow, but it's highly improbable for someone his age to come back from a major procedure. No wonder the news conference took on the tenor of a retirement announcement.

    If you are wondering if he is a Hall of Famer, he is.

  • Pedro feels fine and dandy.
  • Labels: , ,

    43 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "Inoa turns 17 in September." That's absurd. Johenser has an awesome name. I'd sign him on that alone (not to mention he touches 90 at age 16).

    The difference between Castro and the next highest ranked catcher is the "size of the Gran Canyon" I read yesterday. Castro or bust.

    K-Rod pulling a Spreewell. Dumb. "I want my kids to have things I never had." With millions in the bank (I'll estimate that at nearly 1/5th of his home country's GDP), that shouldn't be a problem.

    Smoltz is done. 42 with major shoulder surgery? No bueno.

    I couldn't agree more with that tc guy regarding MLB announcers and his boss

    10:22 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    It may be the size of the grand canyon, but I would rather gamble there than take a guy who is not 100% going to stick. Average this and that means he is question to me and there will be better options in my option. If Lawrie and Wallace are gone and NO ONE drops, Davis and Castro work for me. I won't hate it and it would be a great start, but Castro is like three years away at the minimum where a great bat like Lawrie or Davis should fly through. Not to mention if you want catchers, Lawrie might be able to stick behind the plate, though it would be a waste of his bat. Let the the kid hit!

    tc agrees with tc...tc talks like he is mr t. in the third person.

    K-Rod is nuts!!! Just say you want the biggest paycheck in closer history! We'll hate you less!

    10:37 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You don't know my family. I have three kids. My brother has 7. My two sisters have 6. There's my abuelita and my 14 aunts and all their children. So, please be respectful when you don't know.

    10:43 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I pity the fool. Sucka.

    10:51 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I cant stand the braves. I actually wont go to atlanta for the rest of my life because of my distaste for that team and its fans...

    that said.

    nothing but respect for Smoltz. The guy has been the definition of a gamer, doing whatever his team has needed him to do and doing it better then anyone else. That, and he always had good things to say about his opposing teams. Never took cheap shots like chipper did...

    I remember after the mets beat the braves one year in the playoffs (i think we did that once, right?) he took it like a man and gave all the cred to the mets.

    I hope he comes back... Watching him pitch is fun.

    Oh... and... Fuck the braves.

    11:06 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    True...I thought he specifically said his kids, but he could be referring to 100s of people. Either way, he should be able to cover them with his cash. I mean, Venezuela is not exact a burgeoning economy.

    gbaked, I share you sentiments on Smoltz. Great guy, great player, and a true gamer as you stated.

    They did beat the Braves for sure.

    11:13 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Looking like Wallace and Lawrie will be off the map by the time the Mets pick, which sucks. Not sure they are going to go Davis and Castro and might do some arms again? Ugh..more that won't pan out and will be rushed.

    11:13 AM

     
    Blogger AE said...

    in draft news not related to the mets, i'm curious to see where george brown from st. john's goes. he's a 6'1" lefthanded senior who went 9-0 with a 2.73 era and made 2nd team all-american. he is not overpowering (only 6.12K/9) but he definitely can pitch to his strengths (only .99BB/9 too - 6/1 K/BB ratio). i'm curious to see what round he'll go in. lack of height and k's will probably drop him into rounds 5-10.

    1:30 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Any ideas what kind of stuff he has? Could be like a mid 80's type who is useless....Evan MacLane Part II...

    1:51 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Castro gone at 10 to Astros. Some good names falling. We should know who the Mets first two picks are within the hour.

    3:10 PM

     
    Blogger AE said...

    he's definitely not a flamethrower but when i saw him, he looked to be throwing hard enough - definitely harder than zito. i don't know, maybe he could develop into a modern day tom glavine.

    btw, castro off the board to the astros at pick 10. smoak still on the board...he's gotta be taken within the next few picks i'm betting.

    3:12 PM

     
    Blogger AE said...

    and as soon as i pressed "publish", smoak is gone.

    3:12 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    I was praying for Smoak man...But Texas stepped it up. The Castro pick that early does not compute nor does the Yoner pick. I mean, Votto headed to the outfield? Weird...

    3:15 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Castro gone at 10 to Astros. Weeks gone at 12 to A's. Some good names falling. We should know who the Mets first two picks are within the hour.

    3:19 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Weeks being gone is good. Remove the temptation from the Mets because I don't see how he would have been good for them. Slappy tablesetter that might not stick at 2b? Am I missing something?

    Lawrie and Wallace still on the board. Please.....let us get Wallace. If they can get both (not that they even want one of them) the Mets would have pulled of some magic!!!

    3:22 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lawrie gone. Give me some Cashner.

    3:40 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Cashner? Oh my. I have no idea what the game plan is now. Davis is probably 100% in that Friedrich dude.

    3:41 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    AND that Friedirch dude.

    3:41 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looks like it's Ike Davis at number 18.

    3:49 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ike

    3:50 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Good stuff. Me likely that one.

    3:53 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Struggled in '06 and '07 in the Alaskan and Cape Cod Leagues respectively. Hit .246 in the Cape (with wood bat).

    4:04 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hope they go over slot and take Gerrit Cole, a Boras client @ 22!

    4:06 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Eh...Cape Shmape. The dude can hit.

    A run on relievers big time...three in a row? Cole @ 33...not 22. If he is gone, so be it.

    4:07 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looks like it's Reese Havens at number 22.

    4:11 PM

     
    Blogger Sidd Finch said...

    Havens? Gammons said scouts say he could be a catcher....

    4:11 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Really. Maybe they will try and be sneaky about that and shift him. I ain't made at that pick at all and if he can play 2nd, I liked him more than Weeks.

    Now, we can set our sights on Cole @ 33 possibly. Of course, that would NEVER happen even if he is around.

    4:13 PM

     
    Blogger Sidd Finch said...

    ESPN said that several teams were probably disappointed with the Mets pick, meaning they would have taken him.

    4:16 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    That is good...Both of those guys are solid. I'm pretty excited.

    4:20 PM

     
    Blogger Sidd Finch said...

    Yankers got Cole. Shit.

    4:43 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Skanks get Cole.

    4:43 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Man, I been having computer problems all day. I can finally speak!
    I'm happy the A's took Weeks that way the Mets wouldn't have taken him. I was soo gassing myself up for Alonso or Smoak, I should have known better, haha. Smoak is going to be NAAAASTY.

    I'm very happy with the Mets' picks, Ike Davis is a solid pick and I already liked Havens, reading more about him gets me more excited. All the scouting reports say his hand-eye cordination and ability to read pitches is top notch and that makes me happy. Plus he can be either a catcher or second baseman.

    I personally wouldn't mind seeing Cutter go with the 33rd pick.

    Jason Castro 10 though, WOW!

    AE, you go watch St. John's games? Cause... I go there and got to see alot of Brown. I like him, he's pretty good. His stuff isn't overpowering but it isn't trash either, its just about right to be succesful in the majors.
    I also like Scott Barned from St. John's too.
    Oh and little Gino Matias also from st. john's might get drafted he's good defensively and is a patient obp guy.

    Of course none of those guy won't be picked with much fanfare but whatever.

    5:15 PM

     
    Blogger AE said...

    benny,

    i only went to one game and brown pitched that day. i liked what i saw from him - he was very solid. however, i'm no scout. but the numbers say he can pitch - so we'll see how he does post college.

    i know a lot of people are high on barnes. i'm guessing he throws a lot harder than brown because the numbers don't support the love he's getting. he did however throw a good game against a good texas team in the regionals.

    and gino matias, i only got to see a few ab's so i can't really comment. i think he will get totally overlooked because he's what, 5'7" and plays in the northeast.

    i believe barnes and brown will be drafted, just not until day 2. i'm not sure either has a shot at the show, but you never know.

    5:34 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah they're probably both Day 2 guys, although I wouldn't be surprised if one of them snuck into the end of Day 1.
    And yeah Gino is short as hell I could see him getting drafted in the 50th round or something.

    5:43 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I didn't get Smoak, but I got my other Gamecock. Havens will make the transition to 2B and has the potential to climb the ladder quickly.

    He was always kind of avereage and then blew up when he hit the Cape Cod league last summer.

    Go Cocks.

    6:33 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ...and Jennifer Anniston kisses a girl in Rock Star. That's worth at least $5.

    6:36 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm on the way home from work. Looks like javier rodriguez with the 68th pick out of a hs in puerto rico? Anyone know anything about this one?

    6:50 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Is it just me or are the West Coast games just boring as shit?

    12:07 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Seriously, who the fuck loses like that?

    Which reminds me, I still owe Kenny rogers a crowbar to the knees.

    1:29 AM

     
    Blogger Rickey said...

    Give Steve Philips a break for being late... those interns at ESPN aren't going to sexually harass themselves.

    9:26 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Internet problems all day yesterday. Reduced to checking draft picks over my cell phone on mlb.com mobile. Well, whatever works, right?

    Dare I say it? I like the Mets picks so far. We actually grabbed a two bagger with some cojones, then grabbed another for good measure. Plus, watched video of the kid from Porto Rico and the kids has serious bat speed!

    BP's Kevin Goldstein had Brad Holt as their 50th best prospect and applauded the Mets' choice.

    And here's John Manuel on our Sixth Rounder:
    • How did Josh Satin last until the sixth round? That’s a surprise, but he’s a college value pick with legit power and a small chance to stay at second base as a pro. The California senior has enough ability to be a useful outfielder and has the raw power to at least have a chance to reach the big leagues. He could be a utility player if he retains his athleticism and can play second or third base. Satin was the Cape Cod League all-star game MVP in 2007.

    Swellicious!

    9:54 AM

     
    Blogger Unknown said...

    ninest123 12.31
    tory burch outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet online, louboutin, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, burberry, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin shoes, michael kors, polo ralph lauren outlet, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, nike free, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, replica watches, longchamp, prada outlet, replica watches, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet

    8:23 PM

     
    Blogger Unknown said...

    louis vuitton, canada goose, karen millen, pandora charms, moncler, converse outlet, pandora jewelry, links of london, canada goose, wedding dresses, lancel, moncler, canada goose uk, supra shoes, replica watches, moncler outlet, hollister, toms shoes, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, coach outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler, ugg boots uk, canada goose, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, swarovski, barbour, pandora jewelry, marc jacobs, moncler, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, moncler, louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, barbour jackets, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia
    nienst123 12.31

    8:30 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home