A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Steady As She Goes

It is not really a shocker that the three best teams from a pitching perspective are the Diamondbacks, Braves, and Cubs. They are just annihilating other teams in regards to run differential and are getting it done on the offensive end as well.

The Mets are in the second tier of pitching talent sitting fifth in ERA+ with a 106 behind the Phillies, which is rather surprising to me. What else is rather surprising is the fact that the ace by far of the Mets staff has been Johan Maine.
Name     ERA+
Maine 145
Santana 123
Pelfrey 98
Perez 96
Figueroa 79
I have been under a rock for a bit so I really had no idea John Maine was doing so well. In fact, it is even more of sad commentary that I had no idea because he is on my fantasy team, which is making a hard charge towards first place and all others in my league should be wary of the impending doom that is about to befall them.

Mike Pelfrey has actually made some nice strides this year slightly outperforming Oliver Perez and you really have to say that this team is looking pretty solid right now from a rotation standpoint with Pedro Martinez making his way back. Five 100+ ERA+ guys in the rotation for the second half? Nice. That could really be the catalyst that finally pushes this team to the top of the NL East.

Scary trend.... Johan has 11 homers in 60 innings and the other four starters 14 homers in 166.1 innings. Let us hope he can squash his staggering homerun totals in short order. He is on pace for an amazing 40 dingers after moving into a nice pitchers park which hurts righties and into the NL. He certainly has been very good so far, but I think we all were expecting Cy Young worthy and he is not even sniffing that at this point.

* * *

  • I have forgotten what it is like to have Pedro on this team anymore. It is hard for me to take these things seriously, but eventually he is going to stay healthy enough for a nice string of starts.

    Speaking of injured pitchers, where the hell is The Duque?

  • Interesting.

    METS AREN'T REALLY AMAZIN'

    As they arrive in Atlanta for a four-game series, the Mets (22-19) are coming off a two-game sweep of the Yankees and are just one game out of first place. But tensions are high, with closer Billy Wagner calling out his teammates last week and Carlos Delgado, still hovering at .230, being dumped into the seventh spot in the lineup.


    Last I checked the Braves were behind the Mets. Their run differential is pretty and all, but Smoltz may not see the mound again in 2008 and Chipper is good for about 30 games on the DL. Temper the excitement down there.

  • Ted Berg lays it down.

    People claim that the players don't care enough to win. Nonsense. Go try to find a player in the Major Leagues who doesn't want desperately to win every single game he plays in. You won't. You don't make the big leagues if you don't care.

    Is that 100% true? I mean, no one wants to lose, but there are surely people that want it more and some people that are just not effected as much. Maybe I am crazy here, but I think some people are more emotionally invested in winning and losing than others. I think it is obvious that these guys want to win a shitload more than they want to lose, but I think there are varying degrees of desire.

    All in all, a good article that dishes out some perspective, but this team makes it really hard to keep perspective when the manager is crying racism and they cannot put some room between themselves and a .500 record.

  • Bobby V. may not have had the smoothest ride here and I might not want him managing my team, though I would take him 100 out of 100 times over Willie, but it would be great to see him back in the bigs. The man can beat any ump in a quiz of baseball rules and he really should be given a chance somewhere. His style would be perfect for a young and burgeoning team.

  • Oh my, my, my, how two little games can change perception.

    The Mets offense put on a display in both games against the Yankees, coolly beating their two best pitchers while providing a glimpse at just how potent the team can be when everything is humming.

    "We worked the count a little bit, drew some walks," third baseman David Wright said. "We didn't try to do too much and went the other way."

    This was the strategy Wright outlined against Yankees ace Chien-Ming Wang and their No. 2, Andy Pettitte. The Mets' execution was flawless. They combined for 18 runs and 22 hits, mashed four homers and drew eight walks.


    If they can remain patient, they can blast Glavine out of the water and that would be good for my soul.

  • Vargas and Nellie Figs have been pleasant surprises so far. You really cannot complain about getting the type of output that they have been giving as the 6th and 7th pitchers.

  • Teixiera would be great, but he is going to cost a lot of cash. Mike Carp certainly makes me feel better hitting .338/.389/.537 in Binghamton, but he needs to take a few more walks for me. Luckily enough, Nick Evans is hitting .291/.356/.557 and Dan Murphy is hitting .329/.369/.482. I would not like to rely on one of those guys, but if you tell me all three can go after it and the best man wins, I would be OK with that.
  • Labels:

    31 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Teixeira is going to make serious, serious cash after this season is up. With the Yanks unloading the absurdly bloated contracts of Giambi, Pettite, Mussina, Pavano, Farnsworth, and possibly Abreu (if they decline his option), they're pretty much a lock to grab at least one of Sabathia or a big-time bat.

    If they can't re-sign Ollie, I want Mr. Ben Sheets. I know, I know ... he's always fuckin hurt. But if he can manage to stay healthy, a 1-3 of Johan, Sheets, Maine will not be able to be touched. It makes me giddy just thinking about the potential of that.

    Speaking of Johnny Maine ... that man's ability to stay under the radar is fantastic. Even when there is an absurd out-of-town (or Wallace Matthews) article bashing the Mets' rotation, he's generally just overlooked. Out of our entire staff (outside of what Johan will undoubtedly bring when he gets hot), Maine's the most consistent by leaps and bounds. And I love him for it.

    The media can only be likened to a bi-polar bastard child with ADD. One day they pen some article about the impending doom of the team. Two days later, they win a couple, and it's all bells, whistles, and handjobs for the offense. What an awesome job ... you're never wrong.

    11:22 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    But SHOULD the Yankees ink him? Who is going to pitch for them? Two second year guys, Joba, a rookie and Oliver Perez?

    They actually need to step back for a bit.

    I would do Sheets. He is a risk, but the upside is scary.

    He is so under the radar that I missed him.

    11:26 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The best part about Johan Santana is how good he is in the 2nd half. He hasn't even scratched the surface on how good he is. I'm looking forward to the summer for Johan.

    At the end of the day, the Yankees aren't that good. The Mets beat a bad team with not soo good pitching, a horrible bullpen, and an offense that's missing some very important pieces. So to talk to Yankee fans its great but in the world of baseball its no big deal in my opinion.

    I "like" Carp, Murphy, and Evans, but at the same time I also see them as trade bait. Would anyone be willing to trade thier 1st baseman for one of these guys? Doubt it though.

    Also, Mike, we havn't talked draft yet. I will mention some players I really like.
    Pedro Alvarez won't make to the Mets but he's going to be GOOOOOOOD, really GOoooood.
    Other guys I like and I have NO idea if they'll fall are Justin Smoak and either of the Beckham's. But quie possibly my favorite is Yonder Alonso. That guy is a beast!
    He's the guy I want. I want him! WHen the draft comes on I'm going to cross my fingers and hope he drops.
    I also like Josh Fields alot the only problem is that he's... also a reliever but easily the best reliever the Mets would have drafted over the past couple of years.

    But I have been wrong before I mean I wanted John Mayberry Jr. a couple of years ago and he's been progressing VERY slowly for a college kid. But I also wanted Dellin Betances and he's just been KILLING it.
    C'mon Mike, lets get some draft talk together.

    12:28 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, I had no idea about Maine either. Thats awesome! Makes me love him even more. According to ESPN, he's on pace right now for 173 innings pitched, 2.81 ERA, and an 18-7 record... HOT! He keeps that ERA low, and he might be our Cy young candidate.

    When Pedro comes back, what do they do with Pelf if he keeps it up? Bullpen? AAA? 6 man rotation? Theres no room in the bullpen, so it'll probably be AAA. That last one might actually help Pedro out through the summer days. Didn't Bobby V do that one year?

    I'm hoping the Mets are heating up, but beating the Yankees isn't really something huge at this point. Lets take down atlanta, and next week florida.

    I'm finally visiting NY from seattle for the first time in a few years, and headed to the florida game on memorial day! I'm freaking excited! Anybody else heading to it?

    12:41 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Benny....all those guys are good. Hunt or Hosmer are the only top 10 guys that have a chance to fall to the Mets.

    I should get my draft primer ready. I have some notes...I've been taking notes. Fear not.

    Pavan, you can forget about Cy Young for this season. Webb and Volquez have staked pretty insane leads that probably cannot be made up. Crazy stuff they have been doing this season.

    I will be there on Sunday. Not on Monday.

    Where are you staying? NYC?

    12:52 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    my fantasy team, which is making a hard charge towards first place and all others in my league should be wary of the impending doom that is about to befall them.

    Pffft! Bring it on. Dog Days just limped our sorry asses up to second thanks to my boy Ryan Ludwick, and all this while Furcal's on the DL.

    I'm suddenly ready to smack this shit down. Combine that with a big double-header with my horse Pelf on the hill and opening day of City League softball season upstate, and I'm just about giddy enough to forget about this assload of work piled up here.

    Oh, and Maine? Solid as fuck.

    12:58 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    yeah, true... Webb and volquez probably have insurmountable leads. The D-backs pitching is unreal.

    Yep, my family still lives in queens, so I'm staying with them.

    How are you going on Sunday? The Mets are in Colorado.

    1:07 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    You seem to be a bit too confident Chris. The more noise you make the harder you will fall my friend. This will not be forgotten.

    Furcal on the DL?? Ooooo. I'm scared. I have power, speed, and good looks. That is the triple threat.

    Fuck! No game on Sunday? I just assumed they were home without checking. I guess I am not going!

    1:10 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmm, after I rave about Bobby V and you ask me to cool down, your very next post gives him some love. Coincidence?..I think not. I think the Mets are a young team... certainly not starting from scratch (and I like that Valentine was intrigued by the Devil Rays). After this season, they'll be getting rid of Delgado, possibly Alou, and probably Pedro too, all replaced for younger parts. Maybe they're not "burgeoning", but they will be rather young.

    However, although I haven't liked Willie too much since he opted for Lima-time over Heilman in the 5th spot, I heard from the guy who interviewed him on Sunday and... I didn't realize Willie was such a Mets fan growing up. I do see Willie being a lot smarter with the lineup lately and I haven't seen many cut n' dry blunders from him lately with his pitching management. I even saw him do a squeeze play attempt recently. I think he IS improving. Might be okay with him for a while.

    1:33 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    I told you to cool down? Does not ring a bell.

    Willie has gotten better. I give him that. However, we are IN THIS FOURTH SEASON AND HE IS GETTING BETTER? C'mon. He should be good not getting better. So maybe by 2012 he'll be up to snuff? Fucktastic? Get someone in here who knows his shit now.

    I'm sick of giving him an atta-boy when he makes a simple decision.

    1:48 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Furcal on the DL?? Ooooo. I'm scared. I have power, speed, and good looks. That is the triple threat.

    Oh, shit. We have a category for Handsomeness Per At Bat (HPAB)?!? Damn, I forgot I was playing with the editors of "Tiger Beat."

    And yes, I'm more than prepared to get whomped by your pigtailed asses, believe me. Gotta get my licks in while I can.

    2:36 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, and Maine ... not so much today. Cest la suck.

    2:44 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And worse... glavine is doing well... fuck

    2:53 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So, Willie pulled the race card? Sorry, but we didn't get on Art Howe because he was black - he sucked! And Willie well you've got to be joking. People are on you because you're a bad manager. And you are A BAD MANAGER!!! Who cares what color you are? It's NY.

    Heilman is throwing well, I have to say; when you watch his pitches, they look good. His head is a mess, however. He consistently gets ahead of batters. He just cannot put them away. His change up is not as sick as it once was, sure; but, this is all psychological. I feel bad for him, yet he's sucking up the team!

    Mets are playing the Nationals again today. Forget the weekend series. It's going to take the manager getting ripped. At least! I feel like I'm trapped in September!

    Bobby V wore out his welcome here in NY, but he was a good manager. He pumped guys up. You'd really like to see that on a day like today. How many times last year did we see the Mets have a big inning in the first then coast the rest of the way? It's just not permissible. And today that big inning was one run.

    I am officially hating the 2008 season!

    DG

    3:41 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And when you consider that Glavine just pitcher four mostly lousy seasons in NY, you'd think his ex-teammates might be expecting a change up here and there, no? They should have ignored everything and just waited for that shitty change.

    3:44 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And when you consider that Glavine just pitcher four mostly lousy seasons in NY, you'd think his ex-teammates might be expecting a change up here and there, no? They should have ignored everything and just waited for that shitty change.

    3:44 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This team is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to root for.

    They go and put together two consecutive games of terrific pitching, offense and defense all in an effort to absolutely destroy the Yankees. And how do they follow that up? Bases loaded and nobody out in the first inning against the Braves, and all they can manage to scrape together is one run.

    Oh!!! and here's the best part! The opposing pitcher who eventually settled down lull the Met offense to sleep for 5 more innings...

    Tommy Glavine.

    You read that right folks. Tommy Glavine!

    The same Tommy Glavine who when on the Mets, couldn't buy a fucking win when facing the Braves.

    The same Tommy Glavine who put the final nail in the Mets coffin last season.

    But now that this cock sucker is back on the Braves, he somehow manages to narrowly escape a huge inning in the first, and then dominate us the rest of the way. It's almost funny. not quite, but almost there.

    Always one step forward and two steps back with this team. the moment you try to get excited about a nice pair of wins, they go and throw out a performance like this.

    Seriously un-fucking-watchable.

    3:44 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    so mr anonymous, tell us how you really feel. lol

    today is a sad day in mets-ville. we lose to glavine and mike piazza calls it quits.

    i fucking hate delgado. i hate him more than i hate willie randolph

    4:21 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    HPAB? I'm leading in that too...just like I'm at the top for homers, saves, QSs, ERA, WHIP, steals, holds...you name it, I'm up there.

    Except self respect...totally low there. But everyone else, good to go.

    Glavine is totally smiling a bit.

    And when you consider that Glavine just pitcher four mostly lousy seasons in NY, you'd think his ex-teammates might be expecting a change up here and there, no? They should have ignored everything and just waited for that shitty change.

    Umm...yeah. I just don't get it either. I really don't. By not swinging you can run full counts all day! I know...I've seen it happen for years.

    Ossy, you really have it in for Delgado.

    4:49 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay Mike, it was the post before the last post, you said "Please please with Valentine." :)

    4:53 PM

     
    Blogger Makes Mets said...

    This is just gross. Anon, you hit it on the money. This team is REALLY hard to root for. And that sucks when you wait all winter to get your team back and have fun. Then they come back and it's worse than the winter when they're not even playing. Brutal.

    Glavine domination. Unfucking real. Our players are clowns with no heart. Boooooooo.

    Very sad day. One of the greatest Mets of all time has retired and our team continues to suck it. In a very bad mood. My brother who lives in Atl is going to the game tonight and his quote that he just texted me: "I dread going to the game tonight". Good times to be a Mets fan.

    4:59 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hope you wore your Glavine authentic proud today, Mike.

    I can't bother to discuss this afternoon's game. Deplorable? Yep.

    Hopefully they get the game in tonight. I am enjoying the delay, however, as I am able to watch ESPN and see if the Knicks can snag a decent lottery pick.

    8:07 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I like Anderson but do we have to look at him in starting in left so often? Where the hell are the other OFs?

    9:34 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The rationale is this. Lose the games to the Braves. Make sure they are in the race at least until the trading deadline. That way, the Braves don't get any idea of trading Tex to the Yanks or O's.

    Ain't that right Willie?

    9:48 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Let's relax...we're not Tiger fans!

    9:57 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Watching on MLB, I can believe the Braves' announcer thought Cole Hamels is the best lefthander in the National League.

    I guess he'll have to revise that after Santana's summer.

    -Will

    10:50 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Church concussion. Not good.

    12:25 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maybe the Mets should invest more in having family members be able to visit these players. I imagine its difficult on them, not even having the opportunity to see their families abroad.

    10:46 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow. That was fun.

    Hey, how bout they just go and tank the next game? It's not often you get to see a team drop a four game series! Cmon! who's with me on this one?

    Do it for Willie!

    12:13 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm waiting for a streak and to get my money's worth watching online.

    I stopped getting up at 2am, 3am, etc here in Korea to watch these Jokers. And I'm not one to watch after a game's over...unfortunately, haven't had much reason to consider that either.

    -Will

    7:42 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'd rather they completely tank right now and cause the front office to consider a shakeup

    7:44 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home