A blog dedicated to the New York Mets with some other baseball thrown in.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Drafty, Draft, Draft. I Like The Draft: Part Dos / Fuck Yeah: Pedro Edition

I was praying for a little Eric Hosmer (#4 on K Law's list), but it appears as if the Royals are fed up with being losers and have decided that they are undeterred by the potential price tag of Hosmer. And methinks that if they go after him that early, they will have a pretty good idea if they can afford him.

I was also feeling greedy and was hoping that Gerrit Cole (#10 on K Law's list) would fall as well due to signability concerns and Mets would nab him at 22, but I have backed off of that desire and would prefer they pass on him if he is on the board and wait until 33 to see if he really falls. I like the arm, but there have been mixed reports on him and while his upside is sky high, he is far from a sure thing and there stands to be some pretty good talent on the board that I would rather see get drafted first.

There are few guys that have had the Mets associated with them for either the fact they are actually a good fit or there is legitimate interested in them. If there is no Yonder Alonso (#14 on K Law's list) falling down in the draft or Justin Smoak (#3 on K Law's list), then Brett Lawrie (#52 on K Law's list) is the guy I want at 18. The Mets could gamble and wait until 22 if they really, really want Castro and he is still on the board, but Lawrie reminds me a lot of Jay Bruce.

He is a very good high school bat who just keeps impressing and is hot riser close to the draft. According to MILB.com, he has plus, plus raw power and a he is recognized to have tremendous upside with the bat. He may drop a bit due to concerns about where he play, but that may be the break the Mets need to pick him and he will not be a guy that will cause them upset the commish with some outrageous contract.

For the Mets second pick, I am sure a lot of people may be down with Jason Castro (#20 on K Law's list), but I am bit unsure about that one. I would go Ike Davis here (#46 on K Law's list) because I believe in the bat more and any catcher would take longer to hit the bigs than a position player. It is not that I dislike Castro, but Jason is no stud behind the plate and if he has to move, his bat simply will not play as well as a guy like Davis'. Also, Ryan Babineau will be available in the later rounds as a guy who could really be the Schneider-esque backstop Omar likes so much and might be a better fit than Castro if the Mets can get some big time bats with their first two picks.

For the third pick, I am down with a gambling pick on an arm. Brett Hunter and Gerrit Cole would play perfectly here and it not unfathomable that one of them would be available here and would be a solid, solid pick. If Ike Davis is gone or the Mets choose to go with Jason Castro at 22 (or 18 for that matter and pass up on Ike Davis altogether), Allan Dykstra (#60 on K Law's list) would be a solid pick at 33.

A popular pick here would be Cutter Dykstra (out of the top 75 on K Law's list), but he would be a bit of an overdraft here to say the least. I would not mind him with a later pick if he is still around and having him shift to second, but the novelty of having a Lenny's son as a Met might be clouding my vision a bit.

As always, things change on draft day and it is impossible to predict who will be around at 18 much less 33. However, outside of the standard studs that we all know would be a gift at 18, I would love to see Brett Wallace (#9 on K Law's list) fall to the Mets because he can flat out rake. He is Ike Davis' teammate and the best hitter on the team which is pretty impressive because Davis can rake pretty well himself.

As for the 33rd pick, I would take Andrew Cashner if he fell, which I do not expect to happen. I just see too much offensive ability being available at 18 and 22 and I have become allergic to college relievers and even ones that that throw in the high 90s and look dominating (thank you Craig Hansen). I would also take Reese Havens at 33 if he falls out of the first round as a Dustin Pedoria type with a little bit more pop.

The reality is after all of my whining about the Mets needing to go over slot, they might not have to nor might they have the opportunity to. Just because a guy like Cole might be on the board at 18 or 22, does not mean he is the best investment. However, at 33 he would be a good risk to take on. I think the Mets should focus on offense unless a stud arm that falls in their lap with less questions because there could be some absolute mashers on the board.

* * *


Pedro Martinez may not have struck out ten or threw a shut out, but for the love of Evangeline Lilly and all that is holy that was an amazing performance. Pedro was hitting 90 mph for most of the game and owned some pretty impressive secondary pitches. The party pooper might point out that the Giants have the 14th best offense in the NL, but to you I say may you be banished to a life in which you can only watch Yankee games and hear Michael Kay refer to Derek Jeter as Captain Jetes.

“It’s not over until the season is over,” Martinez said afterward. “But I would say I feel really, really good and really confident that I’m going to be healthy this time for a little while. So I’m going to pray to God that I stay that way and I just continue to do what I did today, give the team an opportunity to win and be here with the team especially – be here with the team. Have my presence out there every five days.”

What is even more impressive that since September 16th of 2005, he only threw 109 or more pitches once on June 22nd of 2006. I know it was not his arm that kept him on the sideline this time, but there were positives here and it was a good moment for the Mets. At least for a day, the Mets were a feel good story both for the fans and for the team.

It was a big shock to all of us," Ryan Church said. "Now it's a big shot in the arm for us that he's back. Everything he does, he just makes it fun and keeps everybody loose."

I am tempering my excitement right now in regards to the state of the Mets, but things do not feel as dreary as they did a week or so ago.

* * *

  • Willie quotes...

    "I'm not worried at all," Schneider said. "It's not something I've ever thought about. ... I knew there was a chance coming in that I wouldn't get to play as consistently as I have in the past. Before anything like that happens I'm sure Willie will come talk about it."

    One thing good about Willie is that he will sit his guys down and let them know what is happening like he did with Green last season. However, the only caveat here is that it is most likely a vet because rooks haven't earned the right, but that is another story.

    "He's got to finish the year out," the Mets' manager said. "It's too early to say he's not going to have the year he had last year."

    I think it is good that said that publicly, but I hope he is sitting down with Perez behind closed doors and really digging into it. Also, Willie issued a conflicting statement that did not instill much confidence.

    Randolph described Oliver Perez's start Monday as both "horrible" and "terrible" but took it one step further when he did not completely dismiss a reporter's question about moving the lefthander to the bullpen. "We haven't got to that point yet," Randolph said

  • Barry Zito is a disaster. A big time disaster. Barry costs a lot of money and is giving them an ERA+ of 72. Last year he gave in a Glavine-esque 98 ERA+. If he can get back into the 113 / 116 range he was in during his last two years in San Francisco this thing will not look like the worst contract in the history of baseball, but it does not look promising for him. He never topped 4.48 in terms of ERA in the AL and posted a 4.53 in 2007 and has a 5.87 in 2008 so far.
  • Labels: ,

    20 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i can understand why the mets get tentative when signing big free agents (vlad). hampton, zito, etc all make me worry about johan's ability to be the shit at the end of his contract.

    i love seeing pedro throw hard in the cold. hopefully it will be a dandy summer

    aint nothing wrong with a platoon. but dont try to get fat ass castro back there everyday. he'll break down

    11:26 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    peace out smoltz! no more owning david wright!

    11:46 AM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Johan is a worry for sure. I wish he was still bringing it 93 mph or so. That would make me feel good.

    11:47 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm happy for the Royals, they have not been giving a fuck for like 3 years now. Good for them. Draft the best player no matter what the price is!

    The names that keep coming up for the Mets are Lawrie, Ike Davis, Castro, and Anthony Hewitt. With a recent mention of Cashner. I'd probably wait until I would take Cashner but he wouldn't be such a bad pick. The thing is tht this years draft is soo unpredictable that ANYONE could drop. And I fully expect someone the Mets did not expect to be there... to be there!
    And speaking of waiting, Cutter Dykstra would be a good 3rd or 4th round pick. And I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed there that long. Hell, Dellin Betances wasn't drafted till the 6th round if I'm not mistaken.

    Normally I'd feel bad for the Giants and having that dumb Zito contract but... nobody told those dumbasses to sign him for that. Everyone knew that was going to be a disaster.

    Draft is one day away.

    12:35 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    He could stay, but he has the Dykstra name which could cause some people to jump quicker than normal.

    Imagine if the Giants didn't? The Mets would have him for 5 / $75 and no Johan! I just puked.

    Cashner is someone I am on the fence about. Yes, he looks legit, but another college reliever? What reliever can add the same value as a starting pitcher or postion player? Only a Wagner / Rivera type. Is that what is being assumed of him? That is a taaaallll order.

    1:19 PM

     
    Blogger AE said...

    1. the only guy mentioned in the draft in association with the mets that i don't want is hewitt. with the way the mets are currently assembled, they cannot afford to gamble on a toolsy guy that has not proved that he can really play the game yet.

    2. the hardball times has an awesome 4 part article on zito. the author of the article contends that he can get zito's velocity back up to and beyond 90. check it here: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/crossing-the-bridge-a-closer-look-at-what-happened-to-barry-zitos-fastball/

    1:40 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And if they do go the college reliveer route, then its gotta be Josh Fields.

    And I'm not a big fan of Hewitt. Too much has to go right for him to be a good pick. The kid is short too.

    1:55 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Captain Jetes. I laughed aloud at my cubicle.

    I'm excited for tomorrow; the draft gives me something to do to pass time here in mid-town.

    Pedro is far better than anyone who was pitching in the 5th spot in the rotation (and O.P. for that matter). He just knows how to command an at-bat and utilize all of his pitches. He's fun to watch for sure.

    When Zito is down to 83, like Keith said last night, you can just sit on his curve and if you guess wrong, still have time to adjust to the fastball and smack him around ... which is essentially what happened last night.

    2:13 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    AE..that Zito shit was nuts. Just crazy stuff. Even if it is 100% false, it is quite impressive to assemble that type of information.

    Reliever at 33 ok...not at 18 and 22. I'm looking for some bats. Johan, Pedro, Maine, Pelfrey, and Neise on the way...the Mets can sort their pitching out in some fashion over the next few years and they can draft pitchers later. Take some high ceiling guys in the latter rounds like Efferson (still angry about that).

    Pedro better than any #5? Shit...he is better than any #3, #4, or #5 the Mets had.

    Keith is dead right all the time. When I played in my wooden bat league, the pitchers mostly threw in the high 60's and a few in the 70's with a one or two in the 80's. Basically, you could sit on anything and make adjustments whereas with guys like Peavy, you cannot do to much to adjust if you are fooled.

    2:38 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Just to clarify, the guys in the 80's were not the ones you can sit on. Major leaguers can just sit on guys in the 80's.

    2:40 PM

     
    Blogger Makes Mets said...

    The Zito thing is mind blowing god awful. That is the thing actually that I think is great about baseball. Completely unpredictable and what keeps you interested. I never thought Zito was top dollar ace material. But I was all about signing him for $15 mil 5 years to have him as a "solid number 2". Jesus...just goes to show that any of us would get crapped on being GM. Not an easy gig.

    Michael Kay and Captain Jetes...cringe.

    Man, trying to be cautiously optimistic about Pedro. But it is really hard to keep the excitement down. If that guy can come back and be there, changes the whole scope of this team and could push them to where we all want them to be.

    2:46 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just think, if the Giants didn't step in with their mega-offer, the Mets would have probably been the next best thing. Though I question Zito's desire to ever play on the East Coast, especially in New York. In my opinion, that was just a bargaining tool to get a West Coast team to open the wallet. Guess that worked out okay for him.

    Keith Hernandez: awesome announcer. The anecdotes he gives from his playing days are great, and the fact he loses his mind at least once a game is always entertainment.

    I agree he's better than 3, 4, & 5, when healthy, as Anthony points out. After his batting performance last night, he is also better than the #2 and #5 hitters (Castillo/Easley). Note: they're only the #2 and #5 hitters in Willie's world, not ours.

    3:22 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ah, I meant Delgado above. Easley on the brain. Long day at work.

    3:23 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    Zito would have taken the money unless someone was really close, which the Giants could have been. They should have just called instead of going all in. Oh well, sucks for them!

    I also feel like Pedro is trying to hypnotize me when he speaks into the cameras. I mean, when he is done, he gives this odd stare before walking away. I think it forces me to write good things about him.

    3:35 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    From SI.com's mock draft:

    "18. New York (NL) -- An already bad system made downright barren by the Johan Santana deal needs help. The Mets are hardly complaining, because they got one of the best pitchers in the game, but with three picks between 18 and 33, the pressure is on for them to re-stock the system. They're very high on University of Miami second baseman Jemile Weeks, and they might pop Rickie's brother here if they don't think he'll be there when they select again at 22. On the other hand, Tim Melville began the season as one of the top high school pitchers available, but he disappointed observers throughout much of the season before returning to form down the stretch. He wants to be paid the way his preseason status dictated, and the Mets have deep pockets.

    Selection: Tim Melville, RHP, Holt HS (MO)"

    4:08 PM

     
    Blogger michael o. said...

    See...that does not compute. He started the year and fell out of favor so we should nab him? Seems like a risk...no?

    4:53 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I also feel like Pedro is trying to hypnotize me when he speaks into the cameras. I mean, when he is done, he gives this odd stare before walking away. I think it forces me to write good things about him.

    This slayed me. Well done. You're coming back around on Pedro like I knew you would.

    I'm amped up for the draft tomorrow. My dream scenario is that a Brett Wallace type falls to 18, we get Ike Davis at 22, and then a Gerrit Cole type in the supplemental. 2 high-end sticks and a pitcher with upside. Yes please.

    8:35 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm praying that Smoak somehow drops down to #18. I'm a South Carolina alum and I've had the oppurtunity to watch him play a lot. Dude is gonna be a stud and could probably contribute more today than Delgado does. Then again, the wood bat can be a bitch sometimes. He hit .383 with 23 bombs and 72 RBIs in 63 games.

    Glad to see the Mets quit sucking.

    That is all.

    8:38 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'd rather see OP get himself somewhat straightened out starting. I can't imagine him being successful in the BP. But Willie's lost without a Mota or Sosa out there to keep things interesting.

    I still think OP will turn things around.

    10:10 PM

     
    Blogger Sidd Finch said...

    Mike, don't you mean

    If he can get back into the 113 / 116 range he was in during his last two years in Oakland, this thing will not look like the worst contract in the history of baseball...

    Captain Jetes.... gag me, and I don't mean Eric GagMe...

    11:34 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home